Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Trip Report

  • David Lutton
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 16, 2001

      That all day hike on the 17th sounds great, I'd better go into training now
      for it!
      Please post where the tour went at Harpers Ferry. I for one would be most
      interested.

      David Lutton
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 16, 2001
        Tom--

        Sounds like you had one fantastic weekend! I am green with envy!

        I should try to arrange for Mike Priest to meet me at the Old
        Mountain Inn to do the same for the South Mountain fight at
        Turner's and Fox's Gaps for the North Carolinians of Hill's
        division for my book....

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        > That all day hike on the 17th sounds great, I'd better go into
        training now
        > for it!
        > Please post where the tour went at Harpers Ferry. I for one
        would be most
        > interested.
        >
        > David Lutton

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Service.

      • John Priest
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
          Gerry:

          Give me a call. I am under John Priest in the local directory for
          Washington Co. MD

          Mike Priest

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
            In a message dated 07/17/2001 5:36:12 AM EST, dunkerch@... writes:
            << Please post where the tour went at Harpers Ferry. >>

            I wish I had better knowledge of the roads at HF (Harpers Ferry) so I could
            give full details. But here goes...

            First we met Dennis Frye at the VC and then headed down Washington Street
            into Camp Hill.

            We made a left on Jackson Street. At the "T", we made a right and arrived at
            the Hilltop House. It sits on Magazine Hill (magazine was established there
            above flood zone). I had never been there before. It sits above the Potomac
            River and provides the best view of HF region I've yet seen. Across from it
            is where the Dahlgrens were set up. It is excellent place to begin a
            discussion of the HF fight. Also it looks like perfect spot for a picnic!

            Next we headed through town of BH (Bolivar Heights) and took Rt 340 south to
            ascend Fed position. At the crest of BH, Dennis noted you can view entire
            width of the Shenandoah Valley to western end (40 miles).

            We made a right on Shipley School Road and stopped at Elementary School to
            view Reb position. In 1862, this was a one-room schoolhouse, hence the name
            Schoolhouse Ridge. Dennis noted there were fewer trees in our front along BH
            in 1862, thus it was formidable for Rebs to assault. So the Feds were only in
            trouble if Md Heights and Loudoun Hts fall. It was here that Jackson arrived
            about 11 AM on Sept 13. Dennis noted BH is on recent top 10 list of
            endangered battlefields.

            Next we went to BH parking lot where the interpretive signs are. The large
            building in the distance (in Camp Hill) is Matter Training Center (sp?). It
            had been the quarters of Alfred Barber (Dennis said he was the
            superintendent, but I forget of what!) and was a Union gun position. From
            here, one can view the Catoctin Mtn Range in far distance.

            We walked into this park area and Dennis pointed out various geographic
            references, wuch as Short Hill (in VA) in mid-distance, but played no role in
            this fight.

            Dennis provided great analysis of how Jackson conducted a rare artillery
            flank-march at night, during which they crossed the Shenandoah River and cut
            a road. He pointed out on Loudoun Hts (below the power line) is a plateau
            where the guns were placed. Off to the right of our position, we could view
            the Chamber Farm. IIRC, this is where Hill's men and 20 guns were posted that
            night.

            We then drove thru HF and Dennis pointed out lots of items, such as Hall
            Canal, which provided hydro-power for Hall Plant that made the Hall
            breech-loading rifles.

            Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
          • Bill and/or Glenna Jo Christen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
              rotbaron@... wrote:

              > We made a left on Jackson Street. At the "T", we made a right and arrived at
              > the Hilltop House. It sits on Magazine Hill (magazine was established there
              > above flood zone). I had never been there before.

              It's also affectionately know as the "Firetrap House" by many of us who have
              stayed there while participating at events at HF. Teddy Roosevelt slept there
              too. It's a great place to stay and their buffet's are excellent. The view is
              grand in early October when we gather at HF for the 1860 election Day event on
              the second Saturday of the month.

              > The large building in the distance (in Camp Hill) is Matter Training Center
              > (sp?). It
              > had been the quarters of Alfred Barber (Dennis said he was the
              > superintendent, but I forget of what!)

              Barber was the superintendent of the harpers Ferry Arsenal.

              Did Dennis take you to the Antietam Iron Furnace site at the point where Antietam
              Creek connects with the Potomac? Many of the Ninth Corps units were camped there
              in the weeks after the battle.

              Bill Christen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
                Mike--

                Thank you for your offer. You can count on me to take you up on
                it sometime soon. However, with getting ready for a nine day trip
                to French Canada looming at the end of this week, perhaps
                sometime in August I might be able to swing such a trip
                financially and materially.

                I just need to decided whether I want to make it an overnight,
                i.e. Saturday to Sunday, or a one day trip, i.e. a Saturday or a
                Sunday, and making for a very long day...

                I will keep you posted. Perhaps best to do so by private email.

                Your humble servant,
                Gerry Mayers
                Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                Edward Lee

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 18, 2001
                  In a message dated 07/17/2001 4:01:43 PM EST, gwjchris@... writes:
                  << Barber was the superintendent of the harpers Ferry Arsenal.
                  Did Dennis take you to the Antietam Iron Furnace site at the point where
                  Antietam Creek connects with the Potomac? Many of the Ninth Corps units were
                  camped there in the weeks after the battle. >>

                  Greetings Bill!

                  Thanks for clarifyng who Barber was.

                  No, we didn't get to Antietam Iron Furnace. Indeed, that is one area which I
                  have yet to explore. I'd also like to see the aqueduct site which Walker
                  tried to
                  destroy. Plus, I've not yet visited the Monocacy battlefield. So plenty of
                  reasons for another excursion!

                  Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
                • John Priest
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 18, 2001
                    Great - contact me by private e-mail. Mike Priest