Burnside's Bridge

  • James
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 20, 2006
      I just got a copy of Burnside's bridge, the story of the 2nd and 20th
      Ga. and was wanting to know if anyone has read this book.

      James
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 21, 2006
        Yes, I wrote a review of it a few years ago. I think for America's
        Civil War, but don't remember exactly. It is Ok, but some flaws and
        over-blown statements take away from its usefullness.

        >>> tx_18th_infantry@... 01/20/06 11:12 PM >>>
      • James
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 22, 2006
          Thank You,

          I have found that many stories based on individual units can be
          overblown,

          Thanks again for the info.

          James

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 21, 2007
            I can proboably find a copy of it if I do some digging. Which CWRT are
            you referencing?

            >>> "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...> 11/21/07 3:11 PM >>>
            Professor Clemens, is it possible to get a copy of the artical you
            wrote on Burnside's Bridge? We want to debate the subject at one of
            our Round Table meetings.

            Thank you

            James Durney
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 22, 2007
              I have always thought that Little Mac had 75 long-range guns lined up
              on the east side of Antietam Creek. I just read in Carman that he had
              only 46. Am I getting my apples and oranges mixed up? Thanks.

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 22, 2007
                I have an upcoming tour with a family of four - mom, dad and two young
                girls, nine and eleven. I am looking for suggestions as to how to best
                entertain them. Any great stories or interpretive techniques come to
                mind? Thanks.

                Have a great Turkey Day!

                Stephen
              • James W. Durney
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 22, 2007
                  We are the Suncoast Civil war Society of Tampa/St. Pete.

                  > I can proboably find a copy of it if I do some digging. Which CWRT
                  are
                  > you referencing?
                  >
                  > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                  > Professor Clemens, is it possible to get a copy of the artical you
                  > wrote on Burnside's Bridge? We want to debate the subject at one
                  of
                  > our Round Table meetings.
                  >
                  > Thank you
                  >
                  > James Durney

                • James W. Durney
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 22, 2007

                    > I have an upcoming tour with a family of four - mom, dad and two
                    young
                    > girls, nine and eleven. I am looking for suggestions as to how to
                    best
                    > entertain them. Any great stories or interpretive techniques come to
                    > mind? Thanks.
                    >
                    > Have a great Turkey Day!
                    >
                    > Stephen

                    My wife was very happy with the outlet mall north of the park.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 22, 2007
                      The outlet mall, IIRC, is in Hagerstown, not close to Sharpsburg.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 22, 2007
                        Thanks.,

                        Stephen

                        BTW, the outlets are not that far from Sharpsburg.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
                          Hi Stephen,
                          I think Carman is accurate. Without doing a lot of digging, the
                          Artillery Reserve, attached ot the Fifth Corps, had 7 batteries, 42
                          guns, and 16 of them were 20 lbs. Parrotts. 12 were Napoleons and out
                          of range, and a couple of Fifth Corps batteries may have helped out, but
                          not enough to make it 75 guns. Two batteries of 20 lbs. Parrotts (12
                          guns) from Twelfth Corps also were there making it 28 long range guns.
                          Maybe that number can be arrived upon by adding the Ninth Corps guns
                          farther south along the bluffs? Some of them were "long range" but not
                          many. Benjamin's had 20 lbs Parrotts, but only 2 I think.

                          >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 11/22/07 8:43 AM >>>
                          I have always thought that Little Mac had 75 long-range guns lined up
                          on the east side of Antietam Creek. I just read in Carman that he had
                          only 46. Am I getting my apples and oranges mixed up? Thanks.

                          Stephen
                        • Joseph Pierro
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
                            Stephen:

                            I can't say Carman's numbers are correct to the gun, but the lower figure appears to be closer to the mark in terms of true "long-range" artillery in McClellan's arsenal.

                            A fair number of early accounts assume that every battery known to be on the far side of the creek was there because it could hit the Confederates at that distance, thus conflating "long range" with "happened to be parked east of Antietam creek." (Some are actually nothing more than unengaged batteries of Napoleons). Those higher numbers filtered into a number of subsequent histories, which may be where you're getting 75 guns.

                            --jake

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007

                              > The outlet mall, IIRC, is in Hagerstown, not close to Sharpsburg.

                              I didn't do more than pull in to drop off/pick up. IIRC, the mall was
                              just off the interstate and a short drive to the NBP.
                            • bdowney@aotw.org
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
                                Hi Stephen,
                                You've had some good answers already.

                                I did a little digging at the battery level in the Federal Fifth (V)
                                and Ninth (IX) Corps for 17 September. Most of my data is as
                                collated by Johnson and Anderson (Artillery Hell, 1995) with
                                occasional updates from other sources. Locations are per Carman's
                                maps (Atlas of the Battlefield of Antietam - online at the LoC).

                                The bulk of the long range pieces along the ridge east of the
                                Antietam opposite Sharpsburg were of the V Corps Artillery Reserve.
                                Others of the V Corps Divisional artillery were also present and had
                                range and sight of much of the the battlefield north of the town,
                                particularly the plateau just east of the Dunkard Church - as you
                                know, a key spot on the battlefield occupied by considerable
                                Confederate artillery early in the day.

                                Some of the artillery of the IX Corps in the vicinity of the Lower
                                Bridge could also reach Confederate artillery positions, notably
                                concentrations on the high ground south of Sharpsburg and on Cemetery
                                Hill east of the town.

                                Other Federal artillery units were also placed, at least for part of
                                the day on the 17th, east of the creek, but were not significantly
                                deployed or engaged from there. These would include guns of the
                                Second and Sixth Corps, and Pleasonton's Horse artillery (soon
                                ordered across the creek). I have not included them here.

                                The real heavy hitters, as shown on several of Carman's maps, were
                                batteries of V Corps deployed along the crest of the ridge
                                immediately east of the creek on either side of the Boonsboro Pike as
                                it crosses the Middle Bridge. They were -- from north to south --
                                Wever, Lagner, Martin, Hazlett, Waterman, and Kusserow north of the
                                bridge, and Von Kleiser, Weed, and Taft to the south. Also south of
                                the pike, but further removed to the east and effectively out of
                                action were the remaining V Corps batteries of Randol, Weed, and Van
                                Reed.

                                Among these V Corps units were 16 big 20-pounder Parrots, and another
                                8 rifled guns: 10-pounder Parrots and 3-inch Ordnance Rifles. A total
                                of 24 guns I'd characterize as long-range. Mixed in were 36 various
                                smoothbores (Napoleons, mostly).

                                Continuing along the creek from where we left off were the IX Corps
                                batteries of Clark and Simmonds. At least during the morning, the
                                batteries of Durell, Cook, Benjamin, Muhlenberg, Roemer, and McMullen
                                completed the line of Federal artillery roughly following the east
                                bank of the Antietam.

                                Simmonds and Benjamin between them boasted the other 6 20-pound
                                Parrots at Antietam. Also in the IX Corps were 33 smaller rifled
                                guns for a total of 39 long range pieces. The infantry was also
                                supported by about 15 smoothbores.

                                For what it's worth, then, I count about 63 long range guns east of
                                the creek til at least 1pm. Certainly, not all were engaged or had
                                targets all day, so you can make of the count what you will.

                                Apples and oranges, by battery, are shown below:

                                Battery Guns Number

                                V Corps Arty Reserve - ridgeline vcty Middle Bridge

                                Wever (1st Bn NY Light, Btty A) 20lb Parrott 4
                                von Kleiser (1st Bn NY Light, Btty B) 20lb Parrott 4
                                Langner (1st Bn NY Light, Btty C) 20lb Parrott 4
                                Kusserow (1st Bn NY Light, Btty D) 32lb Hwzr 6
                                Graham (1st US, Btty K) Napoleon 4
                                Miller (4th US, Btty G) Napoleon 6
                                Taft (NY Light, 5th Btty) 20lb Parrott 4

                                2nd Div, V Corps Arty - south of Middle Bridge
                                Randol (1st US, Btty E&G) Napoleon 4
                                Weed (5th US, Btty I) 3in Ord Rifle 4
                                VanReed (5th US, Btty K) - crossed w/Regulars Napoleon 4

                                1st Div, V Corps Arty (any cross Antietam?)
                                Waterman (1st RI Light, Btty C) Napoleon 6
                                Hazlett (5th US, Btty D) w/Corps Resv Arty Napoleon 2, 10lb Parrott
                                4
                                Martin (MA Light, Btty C) Napoleon 4

                                ________________
                                totals V Corps, East of Antietam

                                20 pound Parrots (rifled, big) 16
                                10 pound Parrots, 3 in Ord Rifles (rifled) 8
                                __
                                ..... subtotal, long-range pieces 24

                                Napoleons, howitzers, other smoothbores 36
                                __
                                ..... total, V Corps pieces 60

                                IX Corps - near Lower Bridge (some Bttys crossed PM)

                                Edwards (3rd US, Btty L&M) 10lb Parrott 4
                                Roemer (2nd NY, Btty L) 3in Ord Rifle 6

                                1st Div, IX Corps
                                Benjamin (2nd US, Btty E) 20lb Parrott 4
                                Cook (MA Lt, 8th Btty) 12lb James 4, 12lb Hwzr 2

                                2nd Div, IX Corps
                                Clark (4th US, Btty E) 10lb Parrott 4
                                Durell (PA Lt, Btty D) 10lb Parrott 6

                                3rd Div, IX Corps
                                Whiting (9 NY Inf, Co K) Naval Hwzr 6
                                Muhlenberg (5th US, Btty A) Napoleon 6

                                Kanawha Division, IX Corps
                                McMullin (OH Lt, 1st Btty) 14lb James 6
                                Simmonds (KY Lt, Simmond's) 20lb Parrott 2, 10lb Parrott 3, 12lb
                                Hwzr 1
                                ________________
                                totals IX Corps, East of Antietam (1/2 day)

                                20 pound Parrots (rifled, big) 6
                                10 pound Parrots, 3 in Ord Rifles, James (rifled) 33
                                __
                                ..... subtotal, long-range pieces 39

                                Napoleons, howitzers, other smoothbores 15
                                __
                                ..... total, IX Corps pieces 54

                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
                                  Thanks. You guys are amazing. I'll print this all out and try to digest
                                  it.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
                                    The tour went fine. The two young girls were very bright and easy to
                                    engage. And we didn't even need to drop mom at the outlet mall! Thanks
                                    for the input.