Re: Confederate Signal Stations: local geography and map comment request

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 18, 2006
      Dave, Gerry and Tom...

      Dave...thanks for the reference. I will check into it.

      The two church steeples in Middletown look essentially as they did
      during the Civil War. The "cone" of the Lutheran Church steeple is
      much taller than that on the reformed church, which makes it more
      prominent, but I think the bell platforms on both are fairly close in
      elevation. Another thing to ponder is that the Reformed Church was
      more on the upslope of a hill (now the cemetery behind it) and I
      would think that its steeple might be harder to see from the station
      on Catoctin than the Lutheran one. More evidence that pushes me
      toward the Lutheran Church. I will follow up on your referrals, and
      thanks for the help.

      Gerry....I didn't pick up on that you were referring to the Lutheran
      Church in Sharpsburg and not Middletown. Sorry for the mix up.

      Tom...I haven't changed the email address out of laziness. It is
      cryptic enough where it doesn't appear as an "official" email address
      for Jefferson...so I just continued to use it for things like this.
      I have been meaning to switch it out, and will do so in the next week
      or so when I have time.

      Thanks to all.
      Steve
      (not Jeff!!) :-)
    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"