Re: Confederate Signal Stations: local geography and map comment request

  • flagflop
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 18, 2006
      Steve, I don't know if you saw my previous comments on Middletown.
      Brown's "Signal Corps USA in the War of the Rebellion" was compiled by
      veterans and published in 1896 (in over 900 pages). It is not well
      indexed, making little jewels appear here and there, but also easily
      missed. On p. 329, there is a statement about Middletown that might
      lead to more information. It states that, as the Union army was
      marching from Fredericksburg to South Mountain, a signal station was
      established on Catoctin Mountain, intended to communicate with (that
      is, be able to "see") Sugar Loaf Mountain "and with a prominent tower
      on the church in Middletown, which had been selected as an eligible
      potition of observation for the valley." (Note that it is referred to
      as if it were the only church in town.) It was assigned to Lts. George
      J. Clarke (62nd NY Vols) and Norman Henry Camp (4th NJ Vols.), who
      were relieved by Lts. Frank N. Wicker (Co. C, 28th NY Vols.) and
      George H. Hill (55th Pa.) You might want to "run" their names through
      the OR, if you have a CD, or use the on-line version with a good
      search engine, to see if they show up in reports. Other than that, the
      longer search for personal narratives from them--letters, or whatnot--
      might yield some specifics, but I realize that's a long shot.

      I have never looked into the Middletown station (which I believe
      figures in both 1862 and '64), nor am I familiar with the town as it
      was. I had hoped that there was only one church, or one with
      a "prominent tower" or steeple. Evidently that isn't the case. Still
      it puzzles me that the signal corps history speaks as if "the" church
      was obvious, for whatever reason. Good luck in your research. Let us
      know if you nail it down.

      Dave Gaddy

      In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
      <jeffcowvplanning@y...> wrote:

      > Gerry...
      > Can you refer me to any specific documentation of the use of the
      > Lutheran steeple in middletown for signaling, as opposed to the
      > Reformed Church steeple. Right now, all I have is local lore, which
      > is counter to our logical assumption of the use of the Lutheran
      > Church. And we all know local lore can be embellished.
      >
      > Thanks.
      > Steve Bockmiller
      > (ps to folks...even though my email address starts off with jeff...I
      > ain't Jeff!) Regards.

    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"