Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Confederate Signal Stations: local geography and map comment request

    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 18, 2006
      Steve,

      I wish I could help you here. But what you are talking about and what
      I am talking about are "two" entirely different things.

      The Lutheran Church in SHARPSBURG was used for signalling by the
      Confederates during the Battle of Sharpsburg/Antietam.

      I have no information whatsoever on use of any of the churches in
      Middletown for any signals purposes whatsoever.

      Very respectfully,

      to preserve it, save that of honour."

      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"