Antietam Trip Report

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 16, 2001
      I spent Thursday thru Saturday with a group touring the Maryland Campaign.
      Weather for all those days was superb (low 80's, breezy, and dry).

      I was at Antietam VC on Thursday and spoke with Ranger Keith Snyder. He noted
      they are planning a full-day hike of the battlefield for Sept 17, 2001. It
      will start at VC and proceed to North Woods, then head south. Lunch at Piper
      Farm will be followed by hike south to Burnside's bridge.

      I spent that afternoon walking the grounds of Roulette Farm and other
      favorite spots. Our gathering began Thursday night with a talk by Dennis
      Frye. I had heard Dennis give a similar talk many years ago (with Compuserve
      Forum). More on its content in a later post.

      On Friday, we began with a tour of Harper's Ferry by Dennis Frye. He took us
      to some areas I'd never visited before and gave a great overview of the
      actions.

      Next, Mike Preist guided us around Fox's Gap. Mike took us into the outback
      where I'd never dared go before. He sure knows that ground and gave us a
      great description of the action in the various fields as we explored the
      ground north and south of the Reno Monument.

      Next we went to Crampton's Gap. There, we were treated to a great lunch
      cooked on-the-spot by Cajun Cooking of Hagerstown. These guys do a great job
      and I recommend their service to any groups.

      Mike led us down the gap to the AME Church as we discussed the Union attack
      up through Whipp's Ravine. Many trees have been cleared that blocked the view
      from the summit and one may soon be able to view the valley again. Next, we
      walked the long road at base of mountain where the initial defense was made
      by Rebs. Mike was very thorough in pointing out the unit positions, fence
      lines, homes, and terrain at time of the battle.

      We next headed for Turner's Gap and walked down the Appalachian Trail along
      the Rebel right. That night Ted Alexander spoke about the CSA offensives of
      1862. On Saturday, Mike hiked the entire Antietam battlefield with us!

      I will post some additional comments and questions later this week.

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
    • David Lutton
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 16, 2001
        Tom,

        That all day hike on the 17th sounds great, I'd better go into training now
        for it!
        Please post where the tour went at Harpers Ferry. I for one would be most
        interested.

        David Lutton

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 16, 2001
          Tom--

          Sounds like you had one fantastic weekend! I am green with envy!

          I should try to arrange for Mike Priest to meet me at the Old
          Mountain Inn to do the same for the South Mountain fight at
          Turner's and Fox's Gaps for the North Carolinians of Hill's
          division for my book....

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

          > That all day hike on the 17th sounds great, I'd better go into
          training now
          > for it!
          > Please post where the tour went at Harpers Ferry. I for one
          would be most
          > interested.
          >
          > David Lutton

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Service.

        • John Priest
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
            Gerry:

            Give me a call. I am under John Priest in the local directory for
            Washington Co. MD

            Mike Priest

          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
              In a message dated 07/17/2001 5:36:12 AM EST, dunkerch@... writes:
              << Please post where the tour went at Harpers Ferry. >>

              I wish I had better knowledge of the roads at HF (Harpers Ferry) so I could
              give full details. But here goes...

              First we met Dennis Frye at the VC and then headed down Washington Street
              into Camp Hill.

              We made a left on Jackson Street. At the "T", we made a right and arrived at
              the Hilltop House. It sits on Magazine Hill (magazine was established there
              above flood zone). I had never been there before. It sits above the Potomac
              River and provides the best view of HF region I've yet seen. Across from it
              is where the Dahlgrens were set up. It is excellent place to begin a
              discussion of the HF fight. Also it looks like perfect spot for a picnic!

              Next we headed through town of BH (Bolivar Heights) and took Rt 340 south to
              ascend Fed position. At the crest of BH, Dennis noted you can view entire
              width of the Shenandoah Valley to western end (40 miles).

              We made a right on Shipley School Road and stopped at Elementary School to
              view Reb position. In 1862, this was a one-room schoolhouse, hence the name
              Schoolhouse Ridge. Dennis noted there were fewer trees in our front along BH
              in 1862, thus it was formidable for Rebs to assault. So the Feds were only in
              trouble if Md Heights and Loudoun Hts fall. It was here that Jackson arrived
              about 11 AM on Sept 13. Dennis noted BH is on recent top 10 list of
              endangered battlefields.

              Next we went to BH parking lot where the interpretive signs are. The large
              building in the distance (in Camp Hill) is Matter Training Center (sp?). It
              had been the quarters of Alfred Barber (Dennis said he was the
              superintendent, but I forget of what!) and was a Union gun position. From
              here, one can view the Catoctin Mtn Range in far distance.

              We walked into this park area and Dennis pointed out various geographic
              references, wuch as Short Hill (in VA) in mid-distance, but played no role in
              this fight.

              Dennis provided great analysis of how Jackson conducted a rare artillery
              flank-march at night, during which they crossed the Shenandoah River and cut
              a road. He pointed out on Loudoun Hts (below the power line) is a plateau
              where the guns were placed. Off to the right of our position, we could view
              the Chamber Farm. IIRC, this is where Hill's men and 20 guns were posted that
              night.

              We then drove thru HF and Dennis pointed out lots of items, such as Hall
              Canal, which provided hydro-power for Hall Plant that made the Hall
              breech-loading rifles.

              Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
            • Bill and/or Glenna Jo Christen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
                rotbaron@... wrote:

                > We made a left on Jackson Street. At the "T", we made a right and arrived at
                > the Hilltop House. It sits on Magazine Hill (magazine was established there
                > above flood zone). I had never been there before.

                It's also affectionately know as the "Firetrap House" by many of us who have
                stayed there while participating at events at HF. Teddy Roosevelt slept there
                too. It's a great place to stay and their buffet's are excellent. The view is
                grand in early October when we gather at HF for the 1860 election Day event on
                the second Saturday of the month.

                > The large building in the distance (in Camp Hill) is Matter Training Center
                > (sp?). It
                > had been the quarters of Alfred Barber (Dennis said he was the
                > superintendent, but I forget of what!)

                Barber was the superintendent of the harpers Ferry Arsenal.

                Did Dennis take you to the Antietam Iron Furnace site at the point where Antietam
                Creek connects with the Potomac? Many of the Ninth Corps units were camped there
                in the weeks after the battle.

                Bill Christen
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
                  Mike--

                  Thank you for your offer. You can count on me to take you up on
                  it sometime soon. However, with getting ready for a nine day trip
                  to French Canada looming at the end of this week, perhaps
                  sometime in August I might be able to swing such a trip
                  financially and materially.

                  I just need to decided whether I want to make it an overnight,
                  i.e. Saturday to Sunday, or a one day trip, i.e. a Saturday or a
                  Sunday, and making for a very long day...

                  I will keep you posted. Perhaps best to do so by private email.

                  Your humble servant,
                  Gerry Mayers
                  Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                  Edward Lee

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 18, 2001
                    In a message dated 07/17/2001 4:01:43 PM EST, gwjchris@... writes:
                    << Barber was the superintendent of the harpers Ferry Arsenal.
                    Did Dennis take you to the Antietam Iron Furnace site at the point where
                    Antietam Creek connects with the Potomac? Many of the Ninth Corps units were
                    camped there in the weeks after the battle. >>

                    Greetings Bill!

                    Thanks for clarifyng who Barber was.

                    No, we didn't get to Antietam Iron Furnace. Indeed, that is one area which I
                    have yet to explore. I'd also like to see the aqueduct site which Walker
                    tried to
                    destroy. Plus, I've not yet visited the Monocacy battlefield. So plenty of
                    reasons for another excursion!

                    Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
                  • John Priest
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 18, 2001
                      Great - contact me by private e-mail. Mike Priest