Charlie King

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
      From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
      Paula;

      Who is Gustav Schurmann?
      Gerry, Gustav Schurmann's story is told in the book by Bill Styple, "The Little Bugler". Though the book was written for middle schoolers, it is definitely worth a read by adults also. Gus (as he was called) was a drummer/bugler for the 40th NY. Due to his skills he moved up to be Phil Kearney's bugler, and eventually Sickles' bugler. IIRC, Gus was with Sickles when he was wounded and was the one to wrap a tourniquet on his leg, as others went off to find Sickles' surgeon. Gus became friends with Tad Lincoln and stayed in the White House for a couple of weeks or so.
      Mary:
      Apparently, they don't know where Charlie is buried. Here is part of the post from Chester Co.
      "Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
      September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is probably
      at Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
      memorial [to King] is appropriately been placed there."
      Paula

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
        ahhhhhhhhhhh
        Am I misreading this? If he died at Antietam it is not likely that he was
        with Sickles at Gettysburg. Was Sickles wounded at Anitetam too?

        > Gerry, Gustav Schurmann's story is told in the book by Bill Styple, "The
        Little Bugler". Though the book was written for middle schoolers, it is
        definitely worth a read by adults also. Gus (as he was called) was a
        drummer/bugler for the 40th NY. Due to his skills he moved up to be Phil
        Kearney's bugler, and eventually Sickles' bugler. IIRC, Gus was with
        Sickles when he was wounded and was the one to wrap a tourniquet on his leg,
        as others went off to find Sickles' surgeon. Gus became friends with Tad
        Lincoln and stayed in the White House for a couple of weeks or so.
        > Mary:
        > Apparently, they don't know where Charlie is buried. Here is part of the
        post from Chester Co.
        > "Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
        > September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is
        probably
        > at Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
        > memorial [to King] is appropriately been placed there."
        > Paula

      • Ron Church
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
          Mary,

          The exact location of Charley's remains is uncertain. There are several
          accounts, but his Mother and Father, Adaline and Pennell King are buried in
          Greenmount Cemetery in West Chester PA. In June of 2005 a memorial to
          Charley was placed near the entrance to Greenmount Cemetery.

          There's a story and picture of it at
          http://24.153.124.124/sons/149/bradbury-cking.htm

          Regards
          Ron

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
            > Mary:
            > Apparently, they don't know where Charlie is buried. Here is part of the
            > post from Chester Co.
            > "Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
            > September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is
            > probably
            > at Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
            > memorial [to King] is appropriately been placed there."
            > Paula

            Thanks.. I had thought that his body was returned to Chester County
            Mary
          • Mary Hawthorne
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
              Thanks Ron

            • 128thpa@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                I was trying to save time and I was answering two questions on two different people in the same post. I did mention the two names separately in the two paragraphs.

                Charlie King was killed at Antietam. Gustav Schurmann was with Sickles at Gettysburg.

                Paula
                From: <richard@...>
                ahhhhhhhhhhh