Re: [TalkAntietam] Charlie King

  • Mary Hawthorne
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
      The book never told what cemetery he is buried in. Since there are so many
      in the West Chester area, I was wondering if you knew? I grew up out side of
      Downingtown so I am familiar with the area..not so much as I used to be..it
      has grown!
      bluelady
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
        Paula;

        Who is Gustav Schurmann?
        Very respectfully,

        to preserve it, save that of honour."

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
          Ron;

          Maybe you can post the article on the CWDG online so all can read
          it.............

          Very respectfully,

          to preserve it, save that of honour."

          >> On Monday, January 16, 2006, at 09:20 PM, Ron Church wrote:
          >>
          >>> Thank you Paula,
          >>>
          >>> Charley's story is a great one on so many levels. If you like I
          >>> will
          >>> email
          >>> a copy of it to you when I'm finished. I am a rudimental drummer
          >>> and
          >>> I am
          >>> trying to take a look at Charley's brief life through the eyes of
          >>> one
          >>> who
          >>> presently does the same thing Charley did.
          >>>
          >>> Ron
          >>

          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Service.

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006

            IIRC, he is Bill Styple's "Little Bugler".

            Harry

            > That would be great Ron! The students are always interested in how
            > the war affected the children. And it is especially interesting to
            > them to learn about the drummer boys and other musicians because
            > many of them were their ages (in 8th grade I can have students from
            > ages 12-14). I tell them about Johnny Clem and Gustav Schurmann. I
            > also talk about Tillie Pierce and other girls who wrote diaries
            > during the war. They are especially interested in Charlie because
            > he died - they always want to know more about him.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Paula

            Civil
            history

            Civil
            battles

            Civil

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

            _____

          • 128thpa@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
              From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
              Paula;

              Who is Gustav Schurmann?
              Gerry, Gustav Schurmann's story is told in the book by Bill Styple, "The Little Bugler". Though the book was written for middle schoolers, it is definitely worth a read by adults also. Gus (as he was called) was a drummer/bugler for the 40th NY. Due to his skills he moved up to be Phil Kearney's bugler, and eventually Sickles' bugler. IIRC, Gus was with Sickles when he was wounded and was the one to wrap a tourniquet on his leg, as others went off to find Sickles' surgeon. Gus became friends with Tad Lincoln and stayed in the White House for a couple of weeks or so.
              Mary:
              Apparently, they don't know where Charlie is buried. Here is part of the post from Chester Co.
              "Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
              September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is probably
              at Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
              memorial [to King] is appropriately been placed there."
              Paula

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                ahhhhhhhhhhh
                Am I misreading this? If he died at Antietam it is not likely that he was
                with Sickles at Gettysburg. Was Sickles wounded at Anitetam too?

                > Gerry, Gustav Schurmann's story is told in the book by Bill Styple, "The
                Little Bugler". Though the book was written for middle schoolers, it is
                definitely worth a read by adults also. Gus (as he was called) was a
                drummer/bugler for the 40th NY. Due to his skills he moved up to be Phil
                Kearney's bugler, and eventually Sickles' bugler. IIRC, Gus was with
                Sickles when he was wounded and was the one to wrap a tourniquet on his leg,
                as others went off to find Sickles' surgeon. Gus became friends with Tad
                Lincoln and stayed in the White House for a couple of weeks or so.
                > Mary:
                > Apparently, they don't know where Charlie is buried. Here is part of the
                post from Chester Co.
                > "Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
                > September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is
                probably
                > at Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
                > memorial [to King] is appropriately been placed there."
                > Paula

              • Ron Church
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                  Mary,

                  The exact location of Charley's remains is uncertain. There are several
                  accounts, but his Mother and Father, Adaline and Pennell King are buried in
                  Greenmount Cemetery in West Chester PA. In June of 2005 a memorial to
                  Charley was placed near the entrance to Greenmount Cemetery.

                  There's a story and picture of it at
                  http://24.153.124.124/sons/149/bradbury-cking.htm

                  Regards
                  Ron

                  > The book never told what cemetery he is buried in. Since there are so many
                  > in the West Chester area, I was wondering if you knew? I grew up out side
                  > of
                  > Downingtown so I am familiar with the area..not so much as I used to
                  > be..it
                  > has grown!
                  > bluelady

                • Mary Hawthorne
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                    > Mary:
                    > Apparently, they don't know where Charlie is buried. Here is part of the
                    > post from Chester Co.
                    > "Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
                    > September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is
                    > probably
                    > at Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
                    > memorial [to King] is appropriately been placed there."
                    > Paula

                    Thanks.. I had thought that his body was returned to Chester County
                    Mary
                  • Mary Hawthorne
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                      Thanks Ron

                    • 128thpa@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                        I was trying to save time and I was answering two questions on two different people in the same post. I did mention the two names separately in the two paragraphs.

                        Charlie King was killed at Antietam. Gustav Schurmann was with Sickles at Gettysburg.

                        Paula
                        From: <richard@...>
                        ahhhhhhhhhhh