Re: [TalkAntietam] Charlie King

  • Ron Church
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
      Thank you Paula,

      Charley's story is a great one on so many levels. If you like I will email
      a copy of it to you when I'm finished. I am a rudimental drummer and I am
      trying to take a look at Charley's brief life through the eyes of one who
      presently does the same thing Charley did.

      Ron

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
        Ron,

        I'd love to read it too. Thanks.

        Stephen Recker

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
          That would be great Ron! The students are always interested in how the war affected the children. And it is especially interesting to them to learn about the drummer boys and other musicians because many of them were their ages (in 8th grade I can have students from ages 12-14). I tell them about Johnny Clem and Gustav Schurmann. I also talk about Tillie Pierce and other girls who wrote diaries during the war. They are especially interested in Charlie because he died - they always want to know more about him.

          Thanks,

          Paula

          > That is great! I will be greatly interested in your final story on him.
          > I use Charlie in my 8th grade class when I cover the Civil War. I
          > concentrate on the children during the period, because it really gets the
          > students interested.
          >
          > Good luck on the photograph.
          >
          > Paula

        • Mary Hawthorne
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
            The book never told what cemetery he is buried in. Since there are so many
            in the West Chester area, I was wondering if you knew? I grew up out side of
            Downingtown so I am familiar with the area..not so much as I used to be..it
            has grown!
            bluelady
            > That would be great Ron! The students are always interested in how the
            > war affected the children. And it is especially interesting to them to
            > learn about the drummer boys and other musicians because many of them were
            > their ages (in 8th grade I can have students from ages 12-14). I tell
            > them about Johnny Clem and Gustav Schurmann. I also talk about Tillie
            > Pierce and other girls who wrote diaries during the war. They are
            > especially interested in Charlie because he died - they always want to
            > know more about him.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Paula

            > From: "Ron Church" <rchurch@...>
            > Thank you Paula,
            >
            > Charley's story is a great one on so many levels. If you like I will
            > email
            > a copy of it to you when I'm finished. I am a rudimental drummer and I
            > am
            > trying to take a look at Charley's brief life through the eyes of one who
            > presently does the same thing Charley did.
            >
            > Ron

          • Mary Hawthorne
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
              I too would like to read that!
              bluelady

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                Paula;

                Who is Gustav Schurmann?
                Very respectfully,

                to preserve it, save that of honour."

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                  Ron;

                  Maybe you can post the article on the CWDG online so all can read
                  it.............

                  Very respectfully,

                  to preserve it, save that of honour."

                  >> On Monday, January 16, 2006, at 09:20 PM, Ron Church wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Thank you Paula,
                  >>>
                  >>> Charley's story is a great one on so many levels. If you like I
                  >>> will
                  >>> email
                  >>> a copy of it to you when I'm finished. I am a rudimental drummer
                  >>> and
                  >>> I am
                  >>> trying to take a look at Charley's brief life through the eyes of
                  >>> one
                  >>> who
                  >>> presently does the same thing Charley did.
                  >>>
                  >>> Ron
                  >>

                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Service.

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006

                    IIRC, he is Bill Styple's "Little Bugler".

                    Harry

                    > That would be great Ron! The students are always interested in how
                    > the war affected the children. And it is especially interesting to
                    > them to learn about the drummer boys and other musicians because
                    > many of them were their ages (in 8th grade I can have students from
                    > ages 12-14). I tell them about Johnny Clem and Gustav Schurmann. I
                    > also talk about Tillie Pierce and other girls who wrote diaries
                    > during the war. They are especially interested in Charlie because
                    > he died - they always want to know more about him.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Paula

                    Civil
                    history

                    Civil
                    battles

                    Civil

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

                    _____

                  • 128thpa@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                      From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
                      Paula;

                      Who is Gustav Schurmann?
                      Gerry, Gustav Schurmann's story is told in the book by Bill Styple, "The Little Bugler". Though the book was written for middle schoolers, it is definitely worth a read by adults also. Gus (as he was called) was a drummer/bugler for the 40th NY. Due to his skills he moved up to be Phil Kearney's bugler, and eventually Sickles' bugler. IIRC, Gus was with Sickles when he was wounded and was the one to wrap a tourniquet on his leg, as others went off to find Sickles' surgeon. Gus became friends with Tad Lincoln and stayed in the White House for a couple of weeks or so.
                      Mary:
                      Apparently, they don't know where Charlie is buried. Here is part of the post from Chester Co.
                      "Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
                      September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is probably
                      at Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
                      memorial [to King] is appropriately been placed there."
                      Paula

                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                        ahhhhhhhhhhh
                        Am I misreading this? If he died at Antietam it is not likely that he was
                        with Sickles at Gettysburg. Was Sickles wounded at Anitetam too?

                        > Gerry, Gustav Schurmann's story is told in the book by Bill Styple, "The
                        Little Bugler". Though the book was written for middle schoolers, it is
                        definitely worth a read by adults also. Gus (as he was called) was a
                        drummer/bugler for the 40th NY. Due to his skills he moved up to be Phil
                        Kearney's bugler, and eventually Sickles' bugler. IIRC, Gus was with
                        Sickles when he was wounded and was the one to wrap a tourniquet on his leg,
                        as others went off to find Sickles' surgeon. Gus became friends with Tad
                        Lincoln and stayed in the White House for a couple of weeks or so.
                        > Mary:
                        > Apparently, they don't know where Charlie is buried. Here is part of the
                        post from Chester Co.
                        > "Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
                        > September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is
                        probably
                        > at Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
                        > memorial [to King] is appropriately been placed there."
                        > Paula

                      • Ron Church
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                          Mary,

                          The exact location of Charley's remains is uncertain. There are several
                          accounts, but his Mother and Father, Adaline and Pennell King are buried in
                          Greenmount Cemetery in West Chester PA. In June of 2005 a memorial to
                          Charley was placed near the entrance to Greenmount Cemetery.

                          There's a story and picture of it at
                          http://24.153.124.124/sons/149/bradbury-cking.htm

                          Regards
                          Ron

                          > The book never told what cemetery he is buried in. Since there are so many
                          > in the West Chester area, I was wondering if you knew? I grew up out side
                          > of
                          > Downingtown so I am familiar with the area..not so much as I used to
                          > be..it
                          > has grown!
                          > bluelady

                        • Mary Hawthorne
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                            > Mary:
                            > Apparently, they don't know where Charlie is buried. Here is part of the
                            > post from Chester Co.
                            > "Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
                            > September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is
                            > probably
                            > at Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
                            > memorial [to King] is appropriately been placed there."
                            > Paula

                            Thanks.. I had thought that his body was returned to Chester County
                            Mary
                          • Mary Hawthorne
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                              Thanks Ron

                            • 128thpa@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                                I was trying to save time and I was answering two questions on two different people in the same post. I did mention the two names separately in the two paragraphs.

                                Charlie King was killed at Antietam. Gustav Schurmann was with Sickles at Gettysburg.

                                Paula
                                From: <richard@...>
                                ahhhhhhhhhhh