Charlie King

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
      I agree with Mary: There was a ceremony a while back for King. Here is the web site for the Chester Co HS. And I have also posted the announcement for the ceremony so you could see the POC. www.chestercohistorical.org

      Paula

      The public is cordially invited to attend the dedication ceremony of the
      Charley King Memorial at Green Mount Cemetery, 117 Westtown Road, West Chester,
      PA at 2 PM on Saturday, June 18, 2005. The cemetery is just south of the
      eastern end of Market Street in West Chester.

      Charles E. King was from West Chester and was the youngest Union soldier to
      be killed in the Civil War. Charley was a twelve-year-old drummer boy when he
      mustered into Company F of the Pennsylvania 49th Volunteers in September
      1861. Charley did very well as a drummer boy and was promoted to drum major of
      the 49th. Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
      September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is probably
      at
      Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
      memorial has appropriately been placed there.

      The memorial is the result of an Eagle Scout project conducted by Brendan
      Lyons with the aid of West Chester VFW Post 106 and the Auxiliary along with
      many other community organizations and individuals.

      John O'Neal, Sgt Jones Bradbury Camp #149, SUVCW

      From: "Mary Hawthorne" <tboner1@...>
      I'm not sure if it would be at Antietam but you might try writing the
      Chester County Historical society in West Chester, PA since king was from
      that town. Or the picture may have come from Westbrook's History of the
      49th PA Volunteers from the altoona times 1898.
      bluelady
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
        Paula,
        Thank you very much. I emailed the historical society a little while ago as
        Bluelady suggested. Will see if they can be of any help. Charley's story
        is tragic indeed, but he is a true hero and I am taking the opportunity to
        again tell his story to the best of my ability.
        Best Regards
        Ron

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
          Ron:

          That is great! I will be greatly interested in your final story on him. I use Charlie in my 8th grade class when I cover the Civil War. I concentrate on the children during the period, because it really gets the students interested.

          Good luck on the photograph.

          Paula

          >I agree with Mary: There was a ceremony a while back for King. Here is
          >the web site for the Chester Co HS. And I have also posted the
          >announcement for the ceremony so you could see the POC.
          >www.chestercohistorical.org
          >
          > Paula
          >
          > The public is cordially invited to attend the dedication ceremony of the
          > Charley King Memorial at Green Mount Cemetery, 117 Westtown Road, West
          > Chester,
          > PA at 2 PM on Saturday, June 18, 2005. The cemetery is just south of the
          > eastern end of Market Street in West Chester.
          >
          > Charles E. King was from West Chester and was the youngest Union soldier
          > be killed in the Civil War. Charley was a twelve-year-old drummer boy
          > when he
          > mustered into Company F of the Pennsylvania 49th Volunteers in September
          > 1861. Charley did very well as a drummer boy and was promoted to drum
          > major of
          > the 49th. Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
          > September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is
          > probably
          > at
          > Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
          > memorial has appropriately been placed there.
          >
          > The memorial is the result of an Eagle Scout project conducted by Brendan
          > Lyons with the aid of West Chester VFW Post 106 and the Auxiliary along
          > with
          > many other community organizations and individuals.
          >
          > John O'Neal, Sgt Jones Bradbury Camp #149, SUVCW

        • Ron Church
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
            Thank you Paula,

            Charley's story is a great one on so many levels. If you like I will email
            a copy of it to you when I'm finished. I am a rudimental drummer and I am
            trying to take a look at Charley's brief life through the eyes of one who
            presently does the same thing Charley did.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
              Ron,

              I'd love to read it too. Thanks.

              Stephen Recker

            • 128thpa@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                That would be great Ron! The students are always interested in how the war affected the children. And it is especially interesting to them to learn about the drummer boys and other musicians because many of them were their ages (in 8th grade I can have students from ages 12-14). I tell them about Johnny Clem and Gustav Schurmann. I also talk about Tillie Pierce and other girls who wrote diaries during the war. They are especially interested in Charlie because he died - they always want to know more about him.

                Thanks,

                Paula

                > That is great! I will be greatly interested in your final story on him.
                > I use Charlie in my 8th grade class when I cover the Civil War. I
                > concentrate on the children during the period, because it really gets the
                > students interested.
                >
                > Good luck on the photograph.
                >
                > Paula

              • Mary Hawthorne
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                  The book never told what cemetery he is buried in. Since there are so many
                  in the West Chester area, I was wondering if you knew? I grew up out side of
                  Downingtown so I am familiar with the area..not so much as I used to be..it
                  has grown!
                  bluelady
                  > That would be great Ron! The students are always interested in how the
                  > war affected the children. And it is especially interesting to them to
                  > learn about the drummer boys and other musicians because many of them were
                  > their ages (in 8th grade I can have students from ages 12-14). I tell
                  > them about Johnny Clem and Gustav Schurmann. I also talk about Tillie
                  > Pierce and other girls who wrote diaries during the war. They are
                  > especially interested in Charlie because he died - they always want to
                  > know more about him.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Paula

                  > From: "Ron Church" <rchurch@...>
                  > Thank you Paula,
                  >
                  > Charley's story is a great one on so many levels. If you like I will
                  > email
                  > a copy of it to you when I'm finished. I am a rudimental drummer and I
                  > am
                  > trying to take a look at Charley's brief life through the eyes of one who
                  > presently does the same thing Charley did.
                  >
                  > Ron

                • Mary Hawthorne
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                    I too would like to read that!
                    bluelady

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                      Paula;

                      Who is Gustav Schurmann?
                      Very respectfully,

                      to preserve it, save that of honour."

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                        Ron;

                        Maybe you can post the article on the CWDG online so all can read
                        it.............

                        Very respectfully,

                        to preserve it, save that of honour."

                        >> On Monday, January 16, 2006, at 09:20 PM, Ron Church wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> Thank you Paula,
                        >>>
                        >>> Charley's story is a great one on so many levels. If you like I
                        >>> will
                        >>> email
                        >>> a copy of it to you when I'm finished. I am a rudimental drummer
                        >>> and
                        >>> I am
                        >>> trying to take a look at Charley's brief life through the eyes of
                        >>> one
                        >>> who
                        >>> presently does the same thing Charley did.
                        >>>
                        >>> Ron
                        >>

                        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > Service.

                      • Harry Smeltzer
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006

                          IIRC, he is Bill Styple's "Little Bugler".

                          Harry

                          > That would be great Ron! The students are always interested in how
                          > the war affected the children. And it is especially interesting to
                          > them to learn about the drummer boys and other musicians because
                          > many of them were their ages (in 8th grade I can have students from
                          > ages 12-14). I tell them about Johnny Clem and Gustav Schurmann. I
                          > also talk about Tillie Pierce and other girls who wrote diaries
                          > during the war. They are especially interested in Charlie because
                          > he died - they always want to know more about him.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Paula

                          Civil
                          history

                          Civil
                          battles

                          Civil

                          _____

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

                          _____

                        • 128thpa@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                            From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
                            Paula;

                            Who is Gustav Schurmann?
                            Gerry, Gustav Schurmann's story is told in the book by Bill Styple, "The Little Bugler". Though the book was written for middle schoolers, it is definitely worth a read by adults also. Gus (as he was called) was a drummer/bugler for the 40th NY. Due to his skills he moved up to be Phil Kearney's bugler, and eventually Sickles' bugler. IIRC, Gus was with Sickles when he was wounded and was the one to wrap a tourniquet on his leg, as others went off to find Sickles' surgeon. Gus became friends with Tad Lincoln and stayed in the White House for a couple of weeks or so.
                            Mary:
                            Apparently, they don't know where Charlie is buried. Here is part of the post from Chester Co.
                            "Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
                            September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is probably
                            at Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
                            memorial [to King] is appropriately been placed there."
                            Paula

                          • richard@rcroker.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                              ahhhhhhhhhhh
                              Am I misreading this? If he died at Antietam it is not likely that he was
                              with Sickles at Gettysburg. Was Sickles wounded at Anitetam too?

                              > Gerry, Gustav Schurmann's story is told in the book by Bill Styple, "The
                              Little Bugler". Though the book was written for middle schoolers, it is
                              definitely worth a read by adults also. Gus (as he was called) was a
                              drummer/bugler for the 40th NY. Due to his skills he moved up to be Phil
                              Kearney's bugler, and eventually Sickles' bugler. IIRC, Gus was with
                              Sickles when he was wounded and was the one to wrap a tourniquet on his leg,
                              as others went off to find Sickles' surgeon. Gus became friends with Tad
                              Lincoln and stayed in the White House for a couple of weeks or so.
                              > Mary:
                              > Apparently, they don't know where Charlie is buried. Here is part of the
                              post from Chester Co.
                              > "Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
                              > September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is
                              probably
                              > at Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
                              > memorial [to King] is appropriately been placed there."
                              > Paula

                            • Ron Church
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                                Mary,

                                The exact location of Charley's remains is uncertain. There are several
                                accounts, but his Mother and Father, Adaline and Pennell King are buried in
                                Greenmount Cemetery in West Chester PA. In June of 2005 a memorial to
                                Charley was placed near the entrance to Greenmount Cemetery.

                                There's a story and picture of it at
                                http://24.153.124.124/sons/149/bradbury-cking.htm

                                Regards
                                Ron

                                > The book never told what cemetery he is buried in. Since there are so many
                                > in the West Chester area, I was wondering if you knew? I grew up out side
                                > of
                                > Downingtown so I am familiar with the area..not so much as I used to
                                > be..it
                                > has grown!
                                > bluelady

                              • Mary Hawthorne
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                                  > Mary:
                                  > Apparently, they don't know where Charlie is buried. Here is part of the
                                  > post from Chester Co.
                                  > "Charley was wounded at Antietam by a piece of shrapnel and died
                                  > September 20, 1862. Although his exact burial place is unknown it is
                                  > probably
                                  > at Antietam. His family's burial plot is at Green Mount Cemetery and the
                                  > memorial [to King] is appropriately been placed there."
                                  > Paula

                                  Thanks.. I had thought that his body was returned to Chester County
                                  Mary
                                • Mary Hawthorne
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                                    Thanks Ron

                                  • 128thpa@comcast.net
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                                      I was trying to save time and I was answering two questions on two different people in the same post. I did mention the two names separately in the two paragraphs.

                                      Charlie King was killed at Antietam. Gustav Schurmann was with Sickles at Gettysburg.

                                      Paula
                                      From: <richard@...>
                                      ahhhhhhhhhhh