Re: Confederate Signal Stations: local geography and map comment request

  • flagflop
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 11, 2006
      Yes, I understood that--perhaps I was awkward in the comment. I was
      responding to Jeff's comment about a signal station perhaps avoiding
      a hospital, hence selecting the "other" church (in Middletown). I
      said that I'd not seen any evidence that they avoided churches,
      hospitals, etc. that we'd rule off-limits for tactical involvement
      today, and I cited the Lutheran church in Sharpsburg as an example,
      where signalmen (and observers of the enemy disposition) were
      risking drawing fire by the presence. Sorry if I confused you--I
      hope not Jeff.

      Dave G.

      ITalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@f...> wrote:

      > Dave,
      >
      > Jeff's question deals more with the churches in Middletown,
      Maryland, on the
      > National Turnpike heading towards Turner's Gap, not Sharpsburg.
      >
      > I think the use of the Lutheran Church as a signal or artillery
      observation
      > platform is fairly well documented.
      >
      > Very respectfully,
      > G E "Gerry" Mayers
      >
      > "As an American citizen I prize the Union very highly
      > and know of no personal sacrifice that I would not make
      > to preserve it, save that of honour."
      > --Robt. E. Lee, Letter to Rooney Lee, 3 December 1860

      Lutheran
      > > Church in Sharpsburg. That would be like tolerating a field arty
      forward
      > > observer, otherwise seemingly fair game for sharp shooter or
      arty.
      > > Perhaps in local records or signal documents (including letters,
      diaries)
      > > there will be a clue. Beyond that, I can't fault your reasoning.
      > >
      > > Dave G.
      > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
      > > <jeffcowvplanning@y...> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Dave and Tom...
      > >>
      > >> The most prominent steeple is the Lutheran, so that would make
      the
      > >> most sense. But I think the bell areas of both churches are
      roughly
      > >> on the same level, but location could be an issue.
      > >>
      > >> On the other hand local lore (yes...take it for what you paid
      for it)
      > >> implies the Reformed Church, with local lore that McClellan
      observed
      > >> part of the battle from the Reformed Church steeple. I
      speculated
      > >> (with no evidence) that if the Lutheran Church was being used
      as the
      > >> primary hospital in town the day before and of the battle,
      would the
      > >> signal corps use it if the bell deck in the steeple at the
      Reformed

      wrote:

      > >> limit to one of the two?

      Church that
      > >> was
      > >> campaigns?

      > >> Medical

      > >> documentation

      of Service.

      ---------------

    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"