Re: Confederate Signal Stations: local geography and map comment request

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 9, 2006
      Dave and Tom...

      The most prominent steeple is the Lutheran, so that would make the
      most sense. But I think the bell areas of both churches are roughly
      on the same level, but location could be an issue.

      On the other hand local lore (yes...take it for what you paid for it)
      implies the Reformed Church, with local lore that McClellan observed
      part of the battle from the Reformed Church steeple. I speculated
      (with no evidence) that if the Lutheran Church was being used as the
      primary hospital in town the day before and of the battle, would the
      signal corps use it if the bell deck in the steeple at the Reformed
      Church was about the same elevation and fewer casualties housed at
      the Reformed Church?

      I plan to study the issue a bit more, but am being converted to the
      Lutheran Church way of thinking.

      Thanks for the input. If you ever find the smoking gun, please let
      me know!

      Steve

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "flagflop" <flagflop@y...> wrote:

      > Steve,
      >
      > Union signal people describe the prominent steeple. Would this
      limit to one of the two?

      > Dave Gaddy
      >

      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
      <jeffcowvplanning@y...> wrote:

      > > Roommates:
      > >
      > > Speaking about signal towers...does anyone have any documentation
      > > regarding whether it was the Lutheran or the Reformed Church that
      was
      > > used by the AotP in Middletown during the 1862, 63 and 64
      campaigns?

      > > I speculate that it was the Reformed church...as it sat on higher
      > > ground, and wasn't initially being used as a hospital by the
      Medical
      > > Department like the Lutheran Church was.
      > >
      > > But...this is speculation...I have not found a shred of
      documentation
      > > one way or the other.
      > >
      > > Anybody have any smoking guns for me on this question?
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > > Steve Bockmiller

    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"