Re: Confederate Signal Stations: local geography and map comment request

  • flagflop
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 8, 2006
      Steve,

      Union signal people describe the prominent steeple. Would this limit to one of the two?

      Dave Gaddy

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning" <jeffcowvplanning@y...> wrote:

      > Roommates:
      >
      > Speaking about signal towers...does anyone have any documentation
      > regarding whether it was the Lutheran or the Reformed Church that was
      > used by the AotP in Middletown during the 1862, 63 and 64 campaigns?
      >
      > I speculate that it was the Reformed church...as it sat on higher
      > ground, and wasn't initially being used as a hospital by the Medical
      > Department like the Lutheran Church was.
      >
      > But...this is speculation...I have not found a shred of documentation
      > one way or the other.
      >
      > Anybody have any smoking guns for me on this question?
      >
      > Thanks.
      > Steve Bockmiller

    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"