Re: AoP Cavalry on Maryland Campaign

  • flagflop
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
      Harry,
      In Ed Fishel's 1996 "Secret War for the Union," (p. 234), Fishel
      wrestled with the basis for Mac's (erroneous) conclusion that
      Jackson had arrived on the field at Sharpsburg on 15 Sep. He
      suggested that it may have been due simply to Mac's hearing the
      cheers at Sharpsburg (over news of the fall of HF), mis-interpreting
      that as arrival of major reenforcement, asking himself (based on SO
      191) which force that would likely be, and assuming Jackson...for
      Jackson was not concerned with HF, but Martinsburg, and thus most
      likely to have finished his task and rejoined Lee. Fishel describes
      this as "Of all the erroneous conclusions about enemy movements and
      positions that McClellan made after acquiring Lee's order, this one
      was the most damaging." I tend to agree with that: in other words,
      Mac accepted that (per SO 191) the reduction of HF was the primary
      task of McLaws' guns on Md Hgts, with a modest assist from Walker to
      block down-stream exit. He was unaware of Jackson's arrival there to
      invest the post and the delay in SO 191's time-table.
      Dave Gaddy

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
      wrote:

      > Dave,
      >

      > This leads me to ask a question to which I have never received an
      adequate
      > response:
      >

      > Given that SO 191 placed Jackson's command at Martinsburg and
      under no
      > circumstance directed him to Harper's Ferry, and given the lack of
      > communication between HF and McClellan as you have described, what
      was the
      > earliest McClellan could have been aware of Jackson's - not
      McLaws', not
      > Walker's, but Jackson's - presence at HF, and how did he receive
      that
      > information?
      >

      > Harry

      t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=Civil+war+history&

      w2=Civil+war+battles&w3=Civil+war&c=3&s=61&.sig=M8mjKWQfCOoomJUxcwVT2
      g> war
      > history
      >
      > Civil
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Civil+war+battles&w1=Civil+war+history&

      w2=Civil+war+battles&w3=Civil+war&c=3&s=61&.sig=KUuQ3QIWEfplrXjsZ8AXx
      Q> war
      > battles
      >
      > Civil
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=Civil+war+history&w2=Civil
      > +war+battles&w3=Civil+war&c=3&s=61&.sig=BbC2G-g28wRDSuP_hgFILA>
      war

      > _____
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > * Visit your group "TalkAntietam
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TalkAntietam> " on the web.

      subject=Unsubscribe>

      > _____

    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
        An erroneous conclusion to be sure, but also understandable given the
        contents of SO 191.

        _____