Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: AoP Cavalry on Maryland Campaign

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
      Good questions Harry!

      1. IIRC, Hill's force was ID'd by the US Signals from their signal station
      closest to Burnside due to their having very high quality optics and also, I
      would imagine they saw the column marching up the HF Ferry Road flying
      Virginia and Confederate flags. (Will have to check sources on that one!)

      2. Will have to check sources on this one, but IIRC, he was so informed by
      Halleck. (Maybe Tom Clemens can help with this one as well as Question 1.)

      3. Let me check sources including Harsh TATF on this. (Another good Tom
      Clemens question!)

      Very respectfully,

      to preserve it, save that of honour."

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
        A dispatch rider from HF got to McClellan and notified him of the
        situation. I can look up the exact day & time if you need it, it is in
        Carman. Mac was very much trying to break through and relieve the
        siege, and Halleck discussed it with him, adding it to his mission. The
        telegraph line to DC, and everywhere else, were cut by the 13th.

        The signal dispatch warning of Hill's approach is in the OR IIRC, but
        there is no evidence it reached Burnside in time to react to it. I
        don't think it mentions Hill by name, and the Viriginia flags is a myth,
        the only VA units in the light Division were in Field's brigade, and
        they were at the end of the column. Gregg's SC brigade was first, and
        the NC artillery officer who saw the flag with his telescope probably
        confused it for a VA flag.

        >>> hjs21@... 01/08/06 3:13 PM >>>
      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
          Tom Clemens wrote:

          <snip>

          Gregg's SC brigade was first, and
          > the NC artillery officer who saw the flag with his telescope probably
          > confused it for a VA flag.

          Yeah, well you know how it is, all those Mountain of Conceit flags look
          pretty much the same to North Carolinians. :-)

          Regards,
          Teej
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
            Yes, many state had blue flags with a state seal or symbol that looked
            alike from a distance. Even Maryland had one like that, unlike the ugly
            flag we have now.

            >>> teej@... 01/08/06 6:29 PM >>>
          • flagflop
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
              Harry,
              In Ed Fishel's 1996 "Secret War for the Union," (p. 234), Fishel
              wrestled with the basis for Mac's (erroneous) conclusion that
              Jackson had arrived on the field at Sharpsburg on 15 Sep. He
              suggested that it may have been due simply to Mac's hearing the
              cheers at Sharpsburg (over news of the fall of HF), mis-interpreting
              that as arrival of major reenforcement, asking himself (based on SO
              191) which force that would likely be, and assuming Jackson...for
              Jackson was not concerned with HF, but Martinsburg, and thus most
              likely to have finished his task and rejoined Lee. Fishel describes
              this as "Of all the erroneous conclusions about enemy movements and
              positions that McClellan made after acquiring Lee's order, this one
              was the most damaging." I tend to agree with that: in other words,
              Mac accepted that (per SO 191) the reduction of HF was the primary
              task of McLaws' guns on Md Hgts, with a modest assist from Walker to
              block down-stream exit. He was unaware of Jackson's arrival there to
              invest the post and the delay in SO 191's time-table.
              Dave Gaddy

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
              wrote:

              > Dave,
              >

              > This leads me to ask a question to which I have never received an
              adequate
              > response:
              >

              > Given that SO 191 placed Jackson's command at Martinsburg and
              under no
              > circumstance directed him to Harper's Ferry, and given the lack of
              > communication between HF and McClellan as you have described, what
              was the
              > earliest McClellan could have been aware of Jackson's - not
              McLaws', not
              > Walker's, but Jackson's - presence at HF, and how did he receive
              that
              > information?
              >

              > Harry

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              > _____

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
                An erroneous conclusion to be sure, but also understandable given the
                contents of SO 191.

                _____