Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: AoP Cavalry on Maryland Campaign

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
      Dear Brian,

      re Mac and AP Hill......Burnside was warned by US Signal Corps that AP Hill
      would be soon engaging his left...but did nothing about it....... Cavalry
      would have run into Munford, IIRC, who was posted down towards Antietam
      Creek.

      As for Pleasant Valley, Franklin debouched into there from taking Crampton's
      Gap. Fox's Gap was the key to controlling Turner's Gap, but the stiff
      Confederate resistance made the Federal IX Corps not realize they had
      actually taken the Gap....until too late. Turner's Gap was attacked by the
      Federal I Corps and the very very stiff Confederate resistance there pretty
      much held off a Federal breakthrough on that front.

      I believe Mac knew something was up with HF because, again IIRC, he was
      supposed to signal with cannon when he approached close enough to HF to try
      to relieve the Siege there. Again, IIRC, the telegraph lines operating out
      from HF were still open until very late in the Siege.

      Very respectfully,

      to preserve it, save that of honour."
    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
        Three questions, Gerry.

        How did the US Signal Corps identify the force as Hill's?

        How did McClellan learn or indicate that what he was attempting to relieve
        at HF was a siege?

        To where were the telegraph lines from HF operating?

        Harry

[...]

        Civil
        history

        Civil
        battles

        Civil

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

        _____

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
          Good questions Harry!

          1. IIRC, Hill's force was ID'd by the US Signals from their signal station
          closest to Burnside due to their having very high quality optics and also, I
          would imagine they saw the column marching up the HF Ferry Road flying
          Virginia and Confederate flags. (Will have to check sources on that one!)

          2. Will have to check sources on this one, but IIRC, he was so informed by
          Halleck. (Maybe Tom Clemens can help with this one as well as Question 1.)

          3. Let me check sources including Harsh TATF on this. (Another good Tom
          Clemens question!)

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
            A dispatch rider from HF got to McClellan and notified him of the
            situation. I can look up the exact day & time if you need it, it is in
            Carman. Mac was very much trying to break through and relieve the
            siege, and Halleck discussed it with him, adding it to his mission. The
            telegraph line to DC, and everywhere else, were cut by the 13th.

            The signal dispatch warning of Hill's approach is in the OR IIRC, but
            there is no evidence it reached Burnside in time to react to it. I
            don't think it mentions Hill by name, and the Viriginia flags is a myth,
            the only VA units in the light Division were in Field's brigade, and
            they were at the end of the column. Gregg's SC brigade was first, and
            the NC artillery officer who saw the flag with his telescope probably
            confused it for a VA flag.

            >>> hjs21@... 01/08/06 3:13 PM >>>
          • Teej Smith
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
              Tom Clemens wrote:

              <snip>

              Gregg's SC brigade was first, and
              > the NC artillery officer who saw the flag with his telescope probably
              > confused it for a VA flag.

              Yeah, well you know how it is, all those Mountain of Conceit flags look
              pretty much the same to North Carolinians. :-)

              Regards,
              Teej
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
                Yes, many state had blue flags with a state seal or symbol that looked
                alike from a distance. Even Maryland had one like that, unlike the ugly
                flag we have now.

                >>> teej@... 01/08/06 6:29 PM >>>
              • flagflop
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
                  Harry,
                  In Ed Fishel's 1996 "Secret War for the Union," (p. 234), Fishel
                  wrestled with the basis for Mac's (erroneous) conclusion that
                  Jackson had arrived on the field at Sharpsburg on 15 Sep. He
                  suggested that it may have been due simply to Mac's hearing the
                  cheers at Sharpsburg (over news of the fall of HF), mis-interpreting
                  that as arrival of major reenforcement, asking himself (based on SO
                  191) which force that would likely be, and assuming Jackson...for
                  Jackson was not concerned with HF, but Martinsburg, and thus most
                  likely to have finished his task and rejoined Lee. Fishel describes
                  this as "Of all the erroneous conclusions about enemy movements and
                  positions that McClellan made after acquiring Lee's order, this one
                  was the most damaging." I tend to agree with that: in other words,
                  Mac accepted that (per SO 191) the reduction of HF was the primary
                  task of McLaws' guns on Md Hgts, with a modest assist from Walker to
                  block down-stream exit. He was unaware of Jackson's arrival there to
                  invest the post and the delay in SO 191's time-table.
                  Dave Gaddy

                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
                  wrote:

                  > Dave,
                  >

                  > This leads me to ask a question to which I have never received an
                  adequate
                  > response:
                  >

                  > Given that SO 191 placed Jackson's command at Martinsburg and
                  under no
                  > circumstance directed him to Harper's Ferry, and given the lack of
                  > communication between HF and McClellan as you have described, what
                  was the
                  > earliest McClellan could have been aware of Jackson's - not
                  McLaws', not
                  > Walker's, but Jackson's - presence at HF, and how did he receive
                  that
                  > information?
                  >

                  > Harry

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                  > _____

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 8, 2006
                    An erroneous conclusion to be sure, but also understandable given the
                    contents of SO 191.

                    _____