Re: [TalkAntietam] RE: Weverton Pass

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2001
      Teej,
      Weverton is the town right on the Potomac downstream for Harpers Ferry a few
      miles. The cliffs are the southern end of South Mountain, analogous to
      Maryland Heights being the southern end of Elk Ridge. It may not be marked
      on the maps because nothing happened there. In fact the only person who
      thought something would happen there was Stuart. Oh well.

      Teej Smith wrote:

      > James Rose wrote:
      > >
      > > Teej,
      > >
      > > I'm looking at a map of the area (West Point Atlas) and I don't see a
      > > Weverton Pass. Crampton's Gap seems (according to the map) to be the
      > > quickest way into Pleasant Valley, and the valley being the best way to
      > > approach the heights. About Miles holding on, I doubt it. Miles knew
      > > that Franklin was coming, and that he was only a few miles away. He
      > > surrendered despite knowing that a relief force was close at hand. The
      > > only way I see it changing is if Franklin had relieved Miles before
      > > Jackson opened fire.
      > >
      > Jim,
      >
      > Unfortunately the only description Stine gives is that it was a
      > few
      > miles below Harper's Ferry and that it was occupied by Wright's and
      > Pryor's Brigades of Anderson Div. Does that tell you where it might have
      > been located? Is it known by another name?
      >
      > Teej

    • James Rose
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2001
        Teej,

        I think that I see the pass.  If I understand the map correctly (it's not labeled) Weverton is only a mile or so south of Crampton's Gap.  The West Point Atlas is not a great topographic map, so it is fairly hard to judge the advisability of trying to force that pass.  Crampton's Gap does look like a much better place to get through to the valley.

        Jim Rose

      • hjs21@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2001
          In a message dated 6/30/2001 8:04:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          clemens@... writes:

          << Yes. Crap. >>

          C'mon, Tom. Don't hold back.

          Harry