Re: [TalkAntietam] Confederate Signal Stations: local geography and map comment request

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 10, 2005
      Brian,
      Sneden obviously has the road grid inaccurate. His bridge #1 is the
      location of Pry's Ford. Keedysville is Kernstown and he has roads
      leading places that they did not go. Nevertheless, he show's Bursides
      signal station on the ridge between Henry and Noah Rohrbach's farms. He
      shows the signal station on Red Hill, but it is labeled Catoctin, which
      is at least 14 miles away. He shows a CS signal station on the Grove
      Farm, which is news to me, but may be correct. It sat on a hill and was
      quite prominent. He has Lee's HQ too far north, but there may indeed be
      signal facilities there. He has the retreat route wrong also. I
      thought Sneden was with the Third Corps and not present at Antietam.
      Does Gaddy suggest he saw the battle?

      >>> bdowney@... 12/05/05 11:44 AM >>>
    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"