Re: [TalkAntietam] Confederate Signal Stations: local geography and map comment request

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 5, 2005
      Dear Brian,

      I have looked in detail at the gif image of the map which Sneden supposedly
      painted or drew. However, I find numerous inaccuracies with what Sneden
      depicts.

      For one thing, he has the Hagerstown Turnpike mis-identified as being the
      Boonsboro Turnpike. For another, he has two sunken roads, including the one
      famous now as Bloody Lane. Likewise, he has the East Woods in the wrong
      location (he terms the West Woods as the East Woods!!!), does not show
      actual location of the East Woods at all nor the North Woods. He shows
      Roulette House much closer to the Sunken Road than it actually is. Finally,
      it appears he has the layout of Sharpsburg totally wrong as well as Lee's
      general HQ area. I do not find the Otto farm listed on the map at all.

      What I do find interesting is his showing the Grove farm being used as a
      Confederate signal station. We know it was indeed used as a Federal signal
      station after the battle.

      I do find most interesting his tallies of the fighting strength of both
      armies. In this, I do believe Sneden is perhaps most accurate.

      Any thoughts?

      Very respectfully,

      to preserve it, save that of honour."

      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"