Re: [TalkAntietam] RE: Weverton Pass

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2001
      Yes. Crap. Weverton Cliffs, and they are cliffs, were held by Wright's brigade and
      artillery on top of the cliffs, and part of Anderson's Division was blocking the
      road. Hampton's cavalry was there too.

      Teej Smith wrote:

      > Afternoon All,
      >
      > A couple of weeks ago a I picked up a very old book titled _ History of
      > the Army of the Potomac _ written in 1893 by J. H. Stine. He spends some
      > time talking about Weverton Pass, located near the Potomac, it afforded
      > another approach to Maryland Heights. According to Stine had Mac
      > advanced up this pass he could have reached Harper's Ferry in time to
      > force McLaws to abandon the Heights and the sounds of a battle coming
      > from this direction might have encouraged Miles to hold onto Harper's
      > Ferry a bit longer. Thoughts anyone?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Teej

    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2001
        Teej,
        Weverton is the town right on the Potomac downstream for Harpers Ferry a few
        miles. The cliffs are the southern end of South Mountain, analogous to
        Maryland Heights being the southern end of Elk Ridge. It may not be marked
        on the maps because nothing happened there. In fact the only person who
        thought something would happen there was Stuart. Oh well.

        Teej Smith wrote:

        > James Rose wrote:
        > >
        > > Teej,
        > >
        > > I'm looking at a map of the area (West Point Atlas) and I don't see a
        > > Weverton Pass. Crampton's Gap seems (according to the map) to be the
        > > quickest way into Pleasant Valley, and the valley being the best way to
        > > approach the heights. About Miles holding on, I doubt it. Miles knew
        > > that Franklin was coming, and that he was only a few miles away. He
        > > surrendered despite knowing that a relief force was close at hand. The
        > > only way I see it changing is if Franklin had relieved Miles before
        > > Jackson opened fire.
        > >
        > Jim,
        >
        > Unfortunately the only description Stine gives is that it was a
        > few
        > miles below Harper's Ferry and that it was occupied by Wright's and
        > Pryor's Brigades of Anderson Div. Does that tell you where it might have
        > been located? Is it known by another name?
        >
        > Teej

      • James Rose
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2001
          Teej,

          I think that I see the pass.  If I understand the map correctly (it's not labeled) Weverton is only a mile or so south of Crampton's Gap.  The West Point Atlas is not a great topographic map, so it is fairly hard to judge the advisability of trying to force that pass.  Crampton's Gap does look like a much better place to get through to the valley.

          Jim Rose

        • hjs21@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2001
            In a message dated 6/30/2001 8:04:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            clemens@... writes:

            << Yes. Crap. >>

            C'mon, Tom. Don't hold back.

            Harry