RE: [TalkAntietam] Confederate Signal Stations: local geography and map comment request

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 5, 2005
      Yes, the ANV HQ was on high ground, the ridge west of Sharpsburg, and
      thus a logical site for Lee's communication network. The Lutheran
      Church was used for observation and signalling, hence its shell-damaged
      appearance in Gardner's photo. It too sat high on the ridge, and the
      cemetery around it caused Carman to refer to the place as Cemetery Hill,
      much to the chagrin of Gettysburg folks. :-)

      >>> bdowney@... 12/5/2005 12:34:10 PM >>>

      Thanks Gerry,

      I'll look into Taylor - it will be good to see his sources.

      I agree on the Lutheran Church site - I've seen several references to
      that, and Dave mentioned it too.

      BD

      Civil war history Civil war battles Civil war
      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"