Re: [TalkAntietam] Confederate Signal Stations: local geography and map comment request

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 5, 2005
      Brian;

      According to a map in Walter Taylor's book about Lee and his campaigns in
      Virginia during the War, a map of Sharpsburg shows all the signal stations,
      both CS and US. Interesting to note there is supposedly a signal station
      shown at location of ANV HQ.

      I believe also there was a signal station atop the cupola of the original
      Lutheran Church in Sharpsburg, which was heavily damaged by artillery fire.

      Very respectfully,

      to preserve it, save that of honour."

      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"