Confederate Signal Stations: local geography and map comment request

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 5, 2005
      Hi Folks,

      Dave Gaddy has written an article for AotW on a recently published
      wartime map of the Antietam Battlefield showing, among other detail,
      Confederate signal stations, here:
      http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=413

      You may find the map and artist intriguing in their own right, I know
      I did.

      But also, particularly for you who are local, can you help Dave
      correlate the signal stations identified to their modern day locations
      and/or identify nearby landmarks or features? Anybody have further
      detail on the subject of Confederate signals at Sharpsburg?

      Thanks for any replies ...

      Brian
    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"