New member

  • thomasdledward
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
      Good day all,

      I'm new to your group, but not to the subject of Antietam or
      Sharpsburg or Cramptons Gap or South Mountain.

      I spent much of my youth growing up in both Locust Valley, Maryland
      and Jefferson, Maryland [more closer to Burkittsville than Jefferson]
      and going to elementary school in Middletown, Maryland and the first
      year of Junior High at Middletown High [we are the Knights, the mighty
      mighty Knights!]and on up to Hagerstown/Mt. Atena, Maryland to
      complete a couple more years of High school there before heading west.

      I remember most of the locals there, some whose families had been
      there since the days of Antietam and earlier.

      I'd walk just about every other weekend in both spring and summer and
      fall along the Appellation trail from Cramptons Gap to South Mountain.
      One could almost sense the musket fire as a kid while walking along
      the trail.

      Now, I live in Southern California and originally moved out here in
      1967 and then moved back to D.C. in 1970 and back to California again
      in 1974 and have been here ever since.
      But, some of the best days of my life were spent right there in
      Jefferson [according to the postal, not geographical address].

      I look forward to participating and understanding more right along
      with everyone here about one of America's most bloodiest days of history.

      At present, I'm list owner of
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bounty-of-Pitcairn/ where we discuss all
      aspects of the 'Mutiny On The Bounty' saga. I'm a descendant of the
      Bounty's surgeon, hence my yahoo id.

      Look forward to going through all the post and catching up.
      Thanks for allowing me to be part of your educational discussions.

      best,

      David Townsend
    • bdowney@aotw.org
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
        Hi David - it's good to have you here - welcome indeed! Look forward to hearing more form you
        as we go,

        Regards,
        Brian
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
          I recently acquired a badge for the dedication of what looks to me like
          the 20th New York monument just outside the visitor center. The badge
          says "Dedicated September 17, 1896". John Schildt's Monuments at
          Antietam says that the 20th NY monument was dedicated in 1910. In the
          book New York at Antietam it says 1911. I'm at a loss. Anyone know of
          any monuments at Antietam that were dedicated on Sept. 17, 1896? Thanks.

          Stephen Recker
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
            Now that I look at it, I think it may well be the 9th New York monument
            badge. That monument was dedicated on May 28, 1897, but I can imagine
            that they may have made the badge in anticipation of it being dedicated
            the previous fall. Anyway, if anyone has any other info I would love to
            hear it. Thanks.

            Stephen