Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Books

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
      Scott,

      Having recently been given a copy of your book and with my own research into
      the Maryland Campaign and the 4th NC at the Sunken Road, I sympathize and
      applaud your wonderful work.

      Very respectfully,

      to preserve it, save that of honour."

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
        I am sending this to the civil war groups I belong to. Looking for a list
        of good Civil War books that are easy to read and understand. Also, looking
        for a list of good books about ghosts of the civil war in Gettysburg,
        Antietam, Manasses, Bull Run and areas in the general area. I have most of
        Shelby Foote's books and one by Ken Burns already, along with a few others.

        Thank you guys very much.

        Vicki in Maryland
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
          Vicki,

          Hello. While I'm not a big proponent of Civil War ghost stories, I am a
          big fan of Wilmer Mumma, and he wrote a book called Ghosts of Antietam.
          You can usually find a copy on www.bookfinder.com for about $45.

          The stories are, for the most part, not true. Someone once told me that
          they asked Wilmer if any of the stories in his ghost book were true. He
          said, "Well, one of them is...maybe."

          Stephen

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
            Vicki;

            If you're interested in well-researched "history as fiction," I am not at all reluctant to recommend my own "easy to read and understand" books.

            They are "To Make Men Free; a Novel of the Battle of Antietam," and "No Greater Courage; a Novel of the Battle of Fredericksburg." They contain no ficticious characters or events and were proofed by the historians at Antietam and Fredericksburg NBPs.

            Richard Croker

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
              I too am a Wilmer fan. He once "published" about four pages of his grandmother's (I presume) childhood recollections of 9/17 which include a brief visit with Gen. Burnside. Her name was Ada, and she had a bit of a rough go of it, especially in the aftermath. Very compelling story.

              Richard