RE: [TalkAntietam] Books

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
      Palfrey made the best comment on reported Confederate numbers. He said it
      would one day be learned that Lee fought the battle with only himself and a
      one-armed orderly.

      I tend to view Confederate PFD reports with an eye similar to Palfrey's.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
        Chris,

        I've researched the regimental strengths at Antietam for publication in
        my new wargaming scenario book, "Undying Courage: The Antietam Campaign
        in Miniature." I found a lot of conflicting information in diaries,
        letters, muster rolls, the OR, etc., and used my best judgement at
        times. Miniature wargaming using the Johnny Reb 3 rules simulates
        regiments by assigning a wargaming figure to represent 30 actual
        combatants. Regimental frontages are influenced by the number of men,
        so the regimental strengths become important. Still, there were a few
        gaps in the historical records that I could only estimate.

        Scott
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
          Scott,

          Having recently been given a copy of your book and with my own research into
          the Maryland Campaign and the 4th NC at the Sunken Road, I sympathize and
          applaud your wonderful work.

          Very respectfully,

          to preserve it, save that of honour."

          > I've researched the regimental strengths at Antietam for publication in
          > my new wargaming scenario book, "Undying Courage: The Antietam Campaign
          > in Miniature." I found a lot of conflicting information in diaries,
          > letters, muster rolls, the OR, etc., and used my best judgement at
          > times. Miniature wargaming using the Johnny Reb 3 rules simulates
          > regiments by assigning a wargaming figure to represent 30 actual
          > combatants. Regimental frontages are influenced by the number of men,
          > so the regimental strengths become important. Still, there were a few
          > gaps in the historical records that I could only estimate.
          >
          > Scott

        • vicki wright
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
            I am sending this to the civil war groups I belong to. Looking for a list
            of good Civil War books that are easy to read and understand. Also, looking
            for a list of good books about ghosts of the civil war in Gettysburg,
            Antietam, Manasses, Bull Run and areas in the general area. I have most of
            Shelby Foote's books and one by Ken Burns already, along with a few others.

            Thank you guys very much.

            Vicki in Maryland
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
              Vicki,

              Hello. While I'm not a big proponent of Civil War ghost stories, I am a
              big fan of Wilmer Mumma, and he wrote a book called Ghosts of Antietam.
              You can usually find a copy on www.bookfinder.com for about $45.

              The stories are, for the most part, not true. Someone once told me that
              they asked Wilmer if any of the stories in his ghost book were true. He
              said, "Well, one of them is...maybe."

              Stephen

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                Vicki;

                If you're interested in well-researched "history as fiction," I am not at all reluctant to recommend my own "easy to read and understand" books.

                They are "To Make Men Free; a Novel of the Battle of Antietam," and "No Greater Courage; a Novel of the Battle of Fredericksburg." They contain no ficticious characters or events and were proofed by the historians at Antietam and Fredericksburg NBPs.

                Richard Croker

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                  I too am a Wilmer fan. He once "published" about four pages of his grandmother's (I presume) childhood recollections of 9/17 which include a brief visit with Gen. Burnside. Her name was Ada, and she had a bit of a rough go of it, especially in the aftermath. Very compelling story.

                  Richard