Re: [TalkAntietam] Books

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
      Dear Brian,

      I would not totally recommend Priest's books, even though they do provide
      more of a human perspective, that is from the soldiers' viewpoints, than
      perhaps some of the other books. He has many errors among his footnote
      sources.

      I have found the TimeLife Voices of the Civil War volume on Antietam to be
      very helpful and very poignant.

      I also believe Shotgun's Civil War website has a very good section on
      Antietam.

      Very respectfully,

      to preserve it, save that of honour."

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
        Dear Harry and Chris,

        I agree. Also, Francis Palfrey's volume on "The Antietam and Fredericksburg"
        is a good and early attempt to address the question of the numbers engaged
        on both sides.

        The official website for the Antietam National Battlefield Park is also
        quite helpful. Its address is www.nps.gov/anti.

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
          Palfrey made the best comment on reported Confederate numbers. He said it
          would one day be learned that Lee fought the battle with only himself and a
          one-armed orderly.

          I tend to view Confederate PFD reports with an eye similar to Palfrey's.

          Harry

          ----

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa
          r&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+c
          ivil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=B5nq3TzwQJZ-9o-dZBJDfA>
          civil war

          Civil
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war
          &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
          vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=DbiiQl0iH1qJX0XgDHxqlg> war
          history

          Civil
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi
          l+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+civil+war+
          art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=BVQQwHG_aMXhJx-7eOhlHw> war

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+book&w1=American+civ
          il+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Ameri
          can+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=nFnrBdBSXx6ADEuRXGzpzQ
          > civil war book

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi
          l+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Americ
          an+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=W8bHi23EDqsEZVAN2I5kwg>
          civil war art

          Civil
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+battles&w1=American+civil+war
          &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
          vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=t6C7FDjOEJg1iKr2mhEpzA> war
          battles

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

          _____

        • Scott Mingus
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
            Chris,

            I've researched the regimental strengths at Antietam for publication in
            my new wargaming scenario book, "Undying Courage: The Antietam Campaign
            in Miniature." I found a lot of conflicting information in diaries,
            letters, muster rolls, the OR, etc., and used my best judgement at
            times. Miniature wargaming using the Johnny Reb 3 rules simulates
            regiments by assigning a wargaming figure to represent 30 actual
            combatants. Regimental frontages are influenced by the number of men,
            so the regimental strengths become important. Still, there were a few
            gaps in the historical records that I could only estimate.

            Scott
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
              Scott,

              Having recently been given a copy of your book and with my own research into
              the Maryland Campaign and the 4th NC at the Sunken Road, I sympathize and
              applaud your wonderful work.

              Very respectfully,

              to preserve it, save that of honour."

              > I've researched the regimental strengths at Antietam for publication in
              > my new wargaming scenario book, "Undying Courage: The Antietam Campaign
              > in Miniature." I found a lot of conflicting information in diaries,
              > letters, muster rolls, the OR, etc., and used my best judgement at
              > times. Miniature wargaming using the Johnny Reb 3 rules simulates
              > regiments by assigning a wargaming figure to represent 30 actual
              > combatants. Regimental frontages are influenced by the number of men,
              > so the regimental strengths become important. Still, there were a few
              > gaps in the historical records that I could only estimate.
              >
              > Scott

            • vicki wright
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                I am sending this to the civil war groups I belong to. Looking for a list
                of good Civil War books that are easy to read and understand. Also, looking
                for a list of good books about ghosts of the civil war in Gettysburg,
                Antietam, Manasses, Bull Run and areas in the general area. I have most of
                Shelby Foote's books and one by Ken Burns already, along with a few others.

                Thank you guys very much.

                Vicki in Maryland
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                  Vicki,

                  Hello. While I'm not a big proponent of Civil War ghost stories, I am a
                  big fan of Wilmer Mumma, and he wrote a book called Ghosts of Antietam.
                  You can usually find a copy on www.bookfinder.com for about $45.

                  The stories are, for the most part, not true. Someone once told me that
                  they asked Wilmer if any of the stories in his ghost book were true. He
                  said, "Well, one of them is...maybe."

                  Stephen

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                    Vicki;

                    If you're interested in well-researched "history as fiction," I am not at all reluctant to recommend my own "easy to read and understand" books.

                    They are "To Make Men Free; a Novel of the Battle of Antietam," and "No Greater Courage; a Novel of the Battle of Fredericksburg." They contain no ficticious characters or events and were proofed by the historians at Antietam and Fredericksburg NBPs.

                    Richard Croker

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                      I too am a Wilmer fan. He once "published" about four pages of his grandmother's (I presume) childhood recollections of 9/17 which include a brief visit with Gen. Burnside. Her name was Ada, and she had a bit of a rough go of it, especially in the aftermath. Very compelling story.

                      Richard