RE: [TalkAntietam] Books

  • bdowney@aotw.org
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
      Hi Chris,

      Couple of places to start.

      Sears' 'Landscape Turned Red' is a good overview and does maps at
      Brigade level. Priest's 'Soldiers Battle' has detail at Regimental
      level, but may have occasional inaccuracies. Harsh's 'Taken at the
      Flood', part of a strategic series, also conveys details, particularly
      numbers of participants - and has a strong reputation. All three are in
      libraries and available online.

      I'll tout Antietam on the Web as a good internet reference
      (http://aotw.org) - I'm also the webmaster. The maps here
      (http://aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=main) are comprehensive and based
      on Carman's. The originals are available online from the Library of
      Congress -
      http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g3842am+gcw0247000))

      Also on AotW, every unit and known commanding officer is listed (search:
      http://aotw.org/officers.php?officer_id=all) and many have additional
      details. Numbers of combatants and losses have long been a point of
      contention, and there are few authoritive single sources - I struggle
      with that often.

      Good hunting,
      Brian

    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
        While lacking maps, Joe Harsh's "Sounding the Shallows" has beaucoup
        quantitative data on the ANV.

        Harry

        Are there any really good antietam books out there that have specific
        information such as how many men were in a regiment at the begining of
        antietam, and that has a lot of maps? I've looked in book store and
        at the Gettysburg National Battlefield, but I can't find anything like
        what I'm looking for. A website would be great too.

        Thanks

        Chris

        American
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa
        r&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+c
        ivil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=B5nq3TzwQJZ-9o-dZBJDfA>
        civil war

        Civil
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war
        &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
        vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=DbiiQl0iH1qJX0XgDHxqlg> war
        history

        Civil
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi
        l+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+civil+war+
        art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=BVQQwHG_aMXhJx-7eOhlHw> war

        American
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+book&w1=American+civ
        il+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Ameri
        can+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=nFnrBdBSXx6ADEuRXGzpzQ
        > civil war book

        American
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi
        l+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Americ
        an+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=W8bHi23EDqsEZVAN2I5kwg>
        civil war art

        Civil
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+battles&w1=American+civil+war
        &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
        vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=t6C7FDjOEJg1iKr2mhEpzA> war
        battles

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
          Dear Brian,

          I would not totally recommend Priest's books, even though they do provide
          more of a human perspective, that is from the soldiers' viewpoints, than
          perhaps some of the other books. He has many errors among his footnote
          sources.

          I have found the TimeLife Voices of the Civil War volume on Antietam to be
          very helpful and very poignant.

          I also believe Shotgun's Civil War website has a very good section on
          Antietam.

          Very respectfully,

          to preserve it, save that of honour."

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
            Dear Harry and Chris,

            I agree. Also, Francis Palfrey's volume on "The Antietam and Fredericksburg"
            is a good and early attempt to address the question of the numbers engaged
            on both sides.

            The official website for the Antietam National Battlefield Park is also
            quite helpful. Its address is www.nps.gov/anti.

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
              Palfrey made the best comment on reported Confederate numbers. He said it
              would one day be learned that Lee fought the battle with only himself and a
              one-armed orderly.

              I tend to view Confederate PFD reports with an eye similar to Palfrey's.

              Harry

              ----

              American
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa
              r&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+c
              ivil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=B5nq3TzwQJZ-9o-dZBJDfA>
              civil war

              Civil
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war
              &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
              vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=DbiiQl0iH1qJX0XgDHxqlg> war
              history

              Civil
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi
              l+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+civil+war+
              art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=BVQQwHG_aMXhJx-7eOhlHw> war

              American
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+book&w1=American+civ
              il+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Ameri
              can+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=nFnrBdBSXx6ADEuRXGzpzQ
              > civil war book

              American
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi
              l+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Americ
              an+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=W8bHi23EDqsEZVAN2I5kwg>
              civil war art

              Civil
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+battles&w1=American+civil+war
              &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
              vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=t6C7FDjOEJg1iKr2mhEpzA> war
              battles

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

              _____

            • Scott Mingus
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
                Chris,

                I've researched the regimental strengths at Antietam for publication in
                my new wargaming scenario book, "Undying Courage: The Antietam Campaign
                in Miniature." I found a lot of conflicting information in diaries,
                letters, muster rolls, the OR, etc., and used my best judgement at
                times. Miniature wargaming using the Johnny Reb 3 rules simulates
                regiments by assigning a wargaming figure to represent 30 actual
                combatants. Regimental frontages are influenced by the number of men,
                so the regimental strengths become important. Still, there were a few
                gaps in the historical records that I could only estimate.

                Scott
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
                  Scott,

                  Having recently been given a copy of your book and with my own research into
                  the Maryland Campaign and the 4th NC at the Sunken Road, I sympathize and
                  applaud your wonderful work.

                  Very respectfully,

                  to preserve it, save that of honour."

                  > I've researched the regimental strengths at Antietam for publication in
                  > my new wargaming scenario book, "Undying Courage: The Antietam Campaign
                  > in Miniature." I found a lot of conflicting information in diaries,
                  > letters, muster rolls, the OR, etc., and used my best judgement at
                  > times. Miniature wargaming using the Johnny Reb 3 rules simulates
                  > regiments by assigning a wargaming figure to represent 30 actual
                  > combatants. Regimental frontages are influenced by the number of men,
                  > so the regimental strengths become important. Still, there were a few
                  > gaps in the historical records that I could only estimate.
                  >
                  > Scott

                • vicki wright
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                    I am sending this to the civil war groups I belong to. Looking for a list
                    of good Civil War books that are easy to read and understand. Also, looking
                    for a list of good books about ghosts of the civil war in Gettysburg,
                    Antietam, Manasses, Bull Run and areas in the general area. I have most of
                    Shelby Foote's books and one by Ken Burns already, along with a few others.

                    Thank you guys very much.

                    Vicki in Maryland
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                      Vicki,

                      Hello. While I'm not a big proponent of Civil War ghost stories, I am a
                      big fan of Wilmer Mumma, and he wrote a book called Ghosts of Antietam.
                      You can usually find a copy on www.bookfinder.com for about $45.

                      The stories are, for the most part, not true. Someone once told me that
                      they asked Wilmer if any of the stories in his ghost book were true. He
                      said, "Well, one of them is...maybe."

                      Stephen

                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                        Vicki;

                        If you're interested in well-researched "history as fiction," I am not at all reluctant to recommend my own "easy to read and understand" books.

                        They are "To Make Men Free; a Novel of the Battle of Antietam," and "No Greater Courage; a Novel of the Battle of Fredericksburg." They contain no ficticious characters or events and were proofed by the historians at Antietam and Fredericksburg NBPs.

                        Richard Croker

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                          I too am a Wilmer fan. He once "published" about four pages of his grandmother's (I presume) childhood recollections of 9/17 which include a brief visit with Gen. Burnside. Her name was Ada, and she had a bit of a rough go of it, especially in the aftermath. Very compelling story.

                          Richard