Books

  • pvcpiper120
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
      Hey everyone,

      Are there any really good antietam books out there that have specific
      information such as how many men were in a regiment at the begining of
      antietam, and that has a lot of maps? I've looked in book store and
      at the Gettysburg National Battlefield, but I can't find anything like
      what I'm looking for. A website would be great too.

      Thanks

      Chris
    • bdowney@aotw.org
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
        Hi Chris,

        Couple of places to start.

        Sears' 'Landscape Turned Red' is a good overview and does maps at
        Brigade level. Priest's 'Soldiers Battle' has detail at Regimental
        level, but may have occasional inaccuracies. Harsh's 'Taken at the
        Flood', part of a strategic series, also conveys details, particularly
        numbers of participants - and has a strong reputation. All three are in
        libraries and available online.

        I'll tout Antietam on the Web as a good internet reference
        (http://aotw.org) - I'm also the webmaster. The maps here
        (http://aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=main) are comprehensive and based
        on Carman's. The originals are available online from the Library of
        Congress -
        http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g3842am+gcw0247000))

        Also on AotW, every unit and known commanding officer is listed (search:
        http://aotw.org/officers.php?officer_id=all) and many have additional
        details. Numbers of combatants and losses have long been a point of
        contention, and there are few authoritive single sources - I struggle
        with that often.

        Good hunting,
        Brian

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
          While lacking maps, Joe Harsh's "Sounding the Shallows" has beaucoup
          quantitative data on the ANV.

          Harry

          Are there any really good antietam books out there that have specific
          information such as how many men were in a regiment at the begining of
          antietam, and that has a lot of maps? I've looked in book store and
          at the Gettysburg National Battlefield, but I can't find anything like
          what I'm looking for. A website would be great too.

          Thanks

          Chris

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa
          r&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+c
          ivil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=B5nq3TzwQJZ-9o-dZBJDfA>
          civil war

          Civil
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war
          &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
          vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=DbiiQl0iH1qJX0XgDHxqlg> war
          history

          Civil
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi
          l+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+civil+war+
          art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=BVQQwHG_aMXhJx-7eOhlHw> war

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+book&w1=American+civ
          il+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Ameri
          can+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=nFnrBdBSXx6ADEuRXGzpzQ
          > civil war book

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi
          l+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Americ
          an+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=W8bHi23EDqsEZVAN2I5kwg>
          civil war art

          Civil
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+battles&w1=American+civil+war
          &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
          vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=t6C7FDjOEJg1iKr2mhEpzA> war
          battles

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

          _____

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
            Dear Brian,

            I would not totally recommend Priest's books, even though they do provide
            more of a human perspective, that is from the soldiers' viewpoints, than
            perhaps some of the other books. He has many errors among his footnote
            sources.

            I have found the TimeLife Voices of the Civil War volume on Antietam to be
            very helpful and very poignant.

            I also believe Shotgun's Civil War website has a very good section on
            Antietam.

            Very respectfully,

            to preserve it, save that of honour."

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
              Dear Harry and Chris,

              I agree. Also, Francis Palfrey's volume on "The Antietam and Fredericksburg"
              is a good and early attempt to address the question of the numbers engaged
              on both sides.

              The official website for the Antietam National Battlefield Park is also
              quite helpful. Its address is www.nps.gov/anti.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
                Palfrey made the best comment on reported Confederate numbers. He said it
                would one day be learned that Lee fought the battle with only himself and a
                one-armed orderly.

                I tend to view Confederate PFD reports with an eye similar to Palfrey's.

                Harry

                ----

                American
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa
                r&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+c
                ivil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=B5nq3TzwQJZ-9o-dZBJDfA>
                civil war

                Civil
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war
                &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
                vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=DbiiQl0iH1qJX0XgDHxqlg> war
                history

                Civil
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi
                l+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+civil+war+
                art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=BVQQwHG_aMXhJx-7eOhlHw> war

                American
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+book&w1=American+civ
                il+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Ameri
                can+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=nFnrBdBSXx6ADEuRXGzpzQ
                > civil war book

                American
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi
                l+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Americ
                an+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=W8bHi23EDqsEZVAN2I5kwg>
                civil war art

                Civil
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+battles&w1=American+civil+war
                &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
                vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=t6C7FDjOEJg1iKr2mhEpzA> war
                battles

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

                _____

              • Scott Mingus
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
                  Chris,

                  I've researched the regimental strengths at Antietam for publication in
                  my new wargaming scenario book, "Undying Courage: The Antietam Campaign
                  in Miniature." I found a lot of conflicting information in diaries,
                  letters, muster rolls, the OR, etc., and used my best judgement at
                  times. Miniature wargaming using the Johnny Reb 3 rules simulates
                  regiments by assigning a wargaming figure to represent 30 actual
                  combatants. Regimental frontages are influenced by the number of men,
                  so the regimental strengths become important. Still, there were a few
                  gaps in the historical records that I could only estimate.

                  Scott
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
                    Scott,

                    Having recently been given a copy of your book and with my own research into
                    the Maryland Campaign and the 4th NC at the Sunken Road, I sympathize and
                    applaud your wonderful work.

                    Very respectfully,

                    to preserve it, save that of honour."

                    > I've researched the regimental strengths at Antietam for publication in
                    > my new wargaming scenario book, "Undying Courage: The Antietam Campaign
                    > in Miniature." I found a lot of conflicting information in diaries,
                    > letters, muster rolls, the OR, etc., and used my best judgement at
                    > times. Miniature wargaming using the Johnny Reb 3 rules simulates
                    > regiments by assigning a wargaming figure to represent 30 actual
                    > combatants. Regimental frontages are influenced by the number of men,
                    > so the regimental strengths become important. Still, there were a few
                    > gaps in the historical records that I could only estimate.
                    >
                    > Scott

                  • vicki wright
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 13 1:31 AM
                      I am sending this to the civil war groups I belong to. Looking for a list
                      of good Civil War books that are easy to read and understand. Also, looking
                      for a list of good books about ghosts of the civil war in Gettysburg,
                      Antietam, Manasses, Bull Run and areas in the general area. I have most of
                      Shelby Foote's books and one by Ken Burns already, along with a few others.

                      Thank you guys very much.

                      Vicki in Maryland
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 13 4:48 AM
                        Vicki,

                        Hello. While I'm not a big proponent of Civil War ghost stories, I am a
                        big fan of Wilmer Mumma, and he wrote a book called Ghosts of Antietam.
                        You can usually find a copy on www.bookfinder.com for about $45.

                        The stories are, for the most part, not true. Someone once told me that
                        they asked Wilmer if any of the stories in his ghost book were true. He
                        said, "Well, one of them is...maybe."

                        Stephen

                      • richard@rcroker.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 13 5:06 AM
                          Vicki;

                          If you're interested in well-researched "history as fiction," I am not at all reluctant to recommend my own "easy to read and understand" books.

                          They are "To Make Men Free; a Novel of the Battle of Antietam," and "No Greater Courage; a Novel of the Battle of Fredericksburg." They contain no ficticious characters or events and were proofed by the historians at Antietam and Fredericksburg NBPs.

                          Richard Croker

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 13 6:42 AM
                            I too am a Wilmer fan. He once "published" about four pages of his grandmother's (I presume) childhood recollections of 9/17 which include a brief visit with Gen. Burnside. Her name was Ada, and she had a bit of a rough go of it, especially in the aftermath. Very compelling story.

                            Richard