Re: [TalkAntietam] General Julius White

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
      Harry Smeltzer wrote:

      > According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
      > control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
      > forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

      Oops....sorry.

      Teej

    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
        One man's "lost control" is another's "wounded while gallantly leading his
        men".

        > According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
        > control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
        > forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

        Oops....sorry.

        Teej

        American
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa
        r&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+c
        ivil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=B5nq3TzwQJZ-9o-dZBJDfA>
        civil war

        Civil
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war
        &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
        vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=DbiiQl0iH1qJX0XgDHxqlg> war
        history

        Civil
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi
        l+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+civil+war+
        art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=BVQQwHG_aMXhJx-7eOhlHw> war

        American
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+book&w1=American+civ
        il+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Ameri
        can+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=nFnrBdBSXx6ADEuRXGzpzQ
        > civil war book

        American
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi
        l+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Americ
        an+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=W8bHi23EDqsEZVAN2I5kwg>
        civil war art

        Civil
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+battles&w1=American+civil+war
        &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
        vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=t6C7FDjOEJg1iKr2mhEpzA> war
        battles

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

        _____

      • nickrelee@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
          In a message dated 11/26/2005 11:59:41 AM Mountain Standard Time,
          clemenst@... writes:

          I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
          White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
          an friend of Lincoln.

          I'm not completely sold on Teetor's ideas (halfway thru book) but I do
          remember seeing in the Harpers Ferry commission report in the OR that they also
          thought White was a good guy. I'm just wondering why in 1862 other officers
          thought White was a good commander. It doesn't seem from Warner that he had
          any great history. Do you think just being a friend of Lincoln made him seem
          like a great guy or is part of his reputation the fact that Miles didn't do a
          great job so White looks good because people figure he couldn't have done
          much worse?

          Reading Teetor he seems to really be going down the path (only halfway thru
          yet so not sure if this is where he's going) that Miles purposefully did
          things to lose Harpers Ferry. That it wasn't just a matter of him not
          understanding the proper way to defend HF, that he wanted to help the Confederacy. So
          I guess the question is, is there a way to defend HF against that many
          Confederates? If Miles had drawn everybody over to Maryland Heights would that
          have prevented HF from falling? How would he supply himself if he puts everyone
          on Maryland Heights?
          --Nick