RE: [TalkAntietam] General Julius White

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
      White was an Illinois politician. He had been in the Wisconsin legislature.
      Started out as Col. of the 37th Il. He commanded a brigade and was wounded
      at Pea Ridge in March 1862, and promoted to BG in June 1862.

      According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
      control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
      forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

      He later commanded a division under Burnside at Knoxville, and, uh oh, was
      his chief of staff up until the Crater. After Burnside's departure, White
      got a division in 9th Corps, but went home sick shortly thereafter. His
      resignation was accepted 11/19/64. He was brevetted MGUSV 3/13/65.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
        Harry Smeltzer wrote:

        > According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
        > control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
        > forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

        Oops....sorry.

        Teej

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
          One man's "lost control" is another's "wounded while gallantly leading his
          men".

          > According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
          > control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
          > forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

          Oops....sorry.

          Teej

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa
          r&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+c
          ivil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=B5nq3TzwQJZ-9o-dZBJDfA>
          civil war

          Civil
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war
          &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
          vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=DbiiQl0iH1qJX0XgDHxqlg> war
          history

          Civil
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi
          l+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+civil+war+
          art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=BVQQwHG_aMXhJx-7eOhlHw> war

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+book&w1=American+civ
          il+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Ameri
          can+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=nFnrBdBSXx6ADEuRXGzpzQ
          > civil war book

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi
          l+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Americ
          an+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=W8bHi23EDqsEZVAN2I5kwg>
          civil war art

          Civil
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+battles&w1=American+civil+war
          &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
          vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=t6C7FDjOEJg1iKr2mhEpzA> war
          battles

          _____

        • nickrelee@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
            In a message dated 11/26/2005 11:59:41 AM Mountain Standard Time,
            clemenst@... writes:

            I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
            White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
            an friend of Lincoln.

            I'm not completely sold on Teetor's ideas (halfway thru book) but I do
            remember seeing in the Harpers Ferry commission report in the OR that they also
            thought White was a good guy. I'm just wondering why in 1862 other officers
            thought White was a good commander. It doesn't seem from Warner that he had
            any great history. Do you think just being a friend of Lincoln made him seem
            like a great guy or is part of his reputation the fact that Miles didn't do a
            great job so White looks good because people figure he couldn't have done
            much worse?

            Reading Teetor he seems to really be going down the path (only halfway thru
            yet so not sure if this is where he's going) that Miles purposefully did
            things to lose Harpers Ferry. That it wasn't just a matter of him not
            understanding the proper way to defend HF, that he wanted to help the Confederacy. So
            I guess the question is, is there a way to defend HF against that many
            Confederates? If Miles had drawn everybody over to Maryland Heights would that
            have prevented HF from falling? How would he supply himself if he puts everyone
            on Maryland Heights?
            --Nick