Re: [TalkAntietam] General Julius White

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
      Tom Clemens wrote:

      >I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
      > White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
      > an friend of Lincoln.

      According to Faust's Encyclopedia, White did better than OK at Pea
      Ridge.

      Teej

    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
        White was an Illinois politician. He had been in the Wisconsin legislature.
        Started out as Col. of the 37th Il. He commanded a brigade and was wounded
        at Pea Ridge in March 1862, and promoted to BG in June 1862.

        According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
        control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
        forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

        He later commanded a division under Burnside at Knoxville, and, uh oh, was
        his chief of staff up until the Crater. After Burnside's departure, White
        got a division in 9th Corps, but went home sick shortly thereafter. His
        resignation was accepted 11/19/64. He was brevetted MGUSV 3/13/65.

        Harry

        >I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
        > White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
        > an friend of Lincoln.

        According to Faust's Encyclopedia, White did better than OK at Pea
        Ridge.

        Teej

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

        _____

      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
          Harry Smeltzer wrote:

          > According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
          > control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
          > forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

          Oops....sorry.

          Teej

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
            One man's "lost control" is another's "wounded while gallantly leading his
            men".

            > According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
            > control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
            > forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

            Oops....sorry.

            Teej

            American
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa
            r&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+c
            ivil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=B5nq3TzwQJZ-9o-dZBJDfA>
            civil war

            Civil
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war
            &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
            vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=DbiiQl0iH1qJX0XgDHxqlg> war
            history

            Civil
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi
            l+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+civil+war+
            art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=BVQQwHG_aMXhJx-7eOhlHw> war

            American
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+book&w1=American+civ
            il+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Ameri
            can+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=nFnrBdBSXx6ADEuRXGzpzQ
            > civil war book

            American
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi
            l+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Americ
            an+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=W8bHi23EDqsEZVAN2I5kwg>
            civil war art

            Civil
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+battles&w1=American+civil+war
            &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
            vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=t6C7FDjOEJg1iKr2mhEpzA> war
            battles

            _____

          • nickrelee@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
              In a message dated 11/26/2005 11:59:41 AM Mountain Standard Time,
              clemenst@... writes:

              I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
              White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
              an friend of Lincoln.

              I'm not completely sold on Teetor's ideas (halfway thru book) but I do
              remember seeing in the Harpers Ferry commission report in the OR that they also
              thought White was a good guy. I'm just wondering why in 1862 other officers
              thought White was a good commander. It doesn't seem from Warner that he had
              any great history. Do you think just being a friend of Lincoln made him seem
              like a great guy or is part of his reputation the fact that Miles didn't do a
              great job so White looks good because people figure he couldn't have done
              much worse?

              Reading Teetor he seems to really be going down the path (only halfway thru
              yet so not sure if this is where he's going) that Miles purposefully did
              things to lose Harpers Ferry. That it wasn't just a matter of him not
              understanding the proper way to defend HF, that he wanted to help the Confederacy. So
              I guess the question is, is there a way to defend HF against that many
              Confederates? If Miles had drawn everybody over to Maryland Heights would that
              have prevented HF from falling? How would he supply himself if he puts everyone
              on Maryland Heights?
              --Nick