Re: [TalkAntietam] General Julius White

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
      I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
      White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
      an friend of Lincoln.

      >>> nickrelee@... 11/25/05 11:13 PM >>>
    • Teej Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
        Tom Clemens wrote:

        >I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
        > White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
        > an friend of Lincoln.

        According to Faust's Encyclopedia, White did better than OK at Pea
        Ridge.

        Teej

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
          White was an Illinois politician. He had been in the Wisconsin legislature.
          Started out as Col. of the 37th Il. He commanded a brigade and was wounded
          at Pea Ridge in March 1862, and promoted to BG in June 1862.

          According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
          control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
          forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

          He later commanded a division under Burnside at Knoxville, and, uh oh, was
          his chief of staff up until the Crater. After Burnside's departure, White
          got a division in 9th Corps, but went home sick shortly thereafter. His
          resignation was accepted 11/19/64. He was brevetted MGUSV 3/13/65.

          Harry

          >I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
          > White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
          > an friend of Lincoln.

          According to Faust's Encyclopedia, White did better than OK at Pea
          Ridge.

          Teej

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

          _____

        • Teej Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
            Harry Smeltzer wrote:

            > According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
            > control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
            > forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

            Oops....sorry.

            Teej

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
              One man's "lost control" is another's "wounded while gallantly leading his
              men".

              > According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
              > control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
              > forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

              Oops....sorry.

              Teej

              American
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa
              r&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+c
              ivil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=B5nq3TzwQJZ-9o-dZBJDfA>
              civil war

              Civil
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war
              &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
              vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=DbiiQl0iH1qJX0XgDHxqlg> war
              history

              Civil
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi
              l+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+civil+war+
              art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=BVQQwHG_aMXhJx-7eOhlHw> war

              American
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+book&w1=American+civ
              il+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Ameri
              can+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=nFnrBdBSXx6ADEuRXGzpzQ
              > civil war book

              American
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi
              l+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Americ
              an+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=W8bHi23EDqsEZVAN2I5kwg>
              civil war art

              Civil
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+battles&w1=American+civil+war
              &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
              vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=t6C7FDjOEJg1iKr2mhEpzA> war
              battles

              _____

            • nickrelee@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
                In a message dated 11/26/2005 11:59:41 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                clemenst@... writes:

                I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
                White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
                an friend of Lincoln.

                I'm not completely sold on Teetor's ideas (halfway thru book) but I do
                remember seeing in the Harpers Ferry commission report in the OR that they also
                thought White was a good guy. I'm just wondering why in 1862 other officers
                thought White was a good commander. It doesn't seem from Warner that he had
                any great history. Do you think just being a friend of Lincoln made him seem
                like a great guy or is part of his reputation the fact that Miles didn't do a
                great job so White looks good because people figure he couldn't have done
                much worse?

                Reading Teetor he seems to really be going down the path (only halfway thru
                yet so not sure if this is where he's going) that Miles purposefully did
                things to lose Harpers Ferry. That it wasn't just a matter of him not
                understanding the proper way to defend HF, that he wanted to help the Confederacy. So
                I guess the question is, is there a way to defend HF against that many
                Confederates? If Miles had drawn everybody over to Maryland Heights would that
                have prevented HF from falling? How would he supply himself if he puts everyone
                on Maryland Heights?
                --Nick