[TalkAntietam] General Julius White

  • nickrelee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 25, 2005
      I'm currently reading "A Matter of Hours" by Paul Teetor and he makes many
      references to Julius White being a good general, better than Dixon Miles at any
      rate. I looked White up in Warner and didn't see anything in his service
      there that marks him as anything special. Does anyone know why White had this
      reputation? Is there a biography on him?
      --Nick

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
        I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
        White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
        an friend of Lincoln.

        >>> nickrelee@... 11/25/05 11:13 PM >>>
      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
          Tom Clemens wrote:

          >I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
          > White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
          > an friend of Lincoln.

          According to Faust's Encyclopedia, White did better than OK at Pea
          Ridge.

          Teej

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
            White was an Illinois politician. He had been in the Wisconsin legislature.
            Started out as Col. of the 37th Il. He commanded a brigade and was wounded
            at Pea Ridge in March 1862, and promoted to BG in June 1862.

            According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
            control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
            forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

            He later commanded a division under Burnside at Knoxville, and, uh oh, was
            his chief of staff up until the Crater. After Burnside's departure, White
            got a division in 9th Corps, but went home sick shortly thereafter. His
            resignation was accepted 11/19/64. He was brevetted MGUSV 3/13/65.

            Harry

            >I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
            > White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
            > an friend of Lincoln.

            According to Faust's Encyclopedia, White did better than OK at Pea
            Ridge.

            Teej

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

            _____

          • Teej Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
              Harry Smeltzer wrote:

              > According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
              > control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
              > forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

              Oops....sorry.

              Teej

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
                One man's "lost control" is another's "wounded while gallantly leading his
                men".

                > According to Shea & Hess in "Pea Ridge" (a great book, BTW), White "lost
                > control of his brigade of Illinois regiments in Morgan's Woods and was
                > forced to disengage in order to save his command from disintegrating."

                Oops....sorry.

                Teej

                American
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa
                r&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+c
                ivil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=B5nq3TzwQJZ-9o-dZBJDfA>
                civil war

                Civil
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war
                &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
                vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=DbiiQl0iH1qJX0XgDHxqlg> war
                history

                Civil
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi
                l+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+civil+war+
                art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=BVQQwHG_aMXhJx-7eOhlHw> war

                American
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+book&w1=American+civ
                il+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Ameri
                can+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=nFnrBdBSXx6ADEuRXGzpzQ
                > civil war book

                American
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi
                l+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=Americ
                an+civil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=W8bHi23EDqsEZVAN2I5kwg>
                civil war art

                Civil
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+battles&w1=American+civil+war
                &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+book&w5=American+ci
                vil+war+art&w6=Civil+war+battles&c=6&s=142&.sig=t6C7FDjOEJg1iKr2mhEpzA> war
                battles

                _____

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 26, 2005
                  In a message dated 11/26/2005 11:59:41 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                  clemenst@... writes:

                  I think Teetor is over-compensating, and his book is not that good.
                  White had no experience, and his major claim to a generalship was being
                  an friend of Lincoln.

                  I'm not completely sold on Teetor's ideas (halfway thru book) but I do
                  remember seeing in the Harpers Ferry commission report in the OR that they also
                  thought White was a good guy. I'm just wondering why in 1862 other officers
                  thought White was a good commander. It doesn't seem from Warner that he had
                  any great history. Do you think just being a friend of Lincoln made him seem
                  like a great guy or is part of his reputation the fact that Miles didn't do a
                  great job so White looks good because people figure he couldn't have done
                  much worse?

                  Reading Teetor he seems to really be going down the path (only halfway thru
                  yet so not sure if this is where he's going) that Miles purposefully did
                  things to lose Harpers Ferry. That it wasn't just a matter of him not
                  understanding the proper way to defend HF, that he wanted to help the Confederacy. So
                  I guess the question is, is there a way to defend HF against that many
                  Confederates? If Miles had drawn everybody over to Maryland Heights would that
                  have prevented HF from falling? How would he supply himself if he puts everyone
                  on Maryland Heights?
                  --Nick