Re: [TalkAntietam] metal, raised five-point stars

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
      No just decorative as far as I know.
      Older structures used through-bolts to stabilize large buildings and
      the builders often used different motifs as a "washer" to show on the
      outside. A good example is the large brick house on Alt. 40 at the
      eastern base of Turner's Gap. The black iron letters of the original
      owner's initials show on either end of the house, I think it is an H on
      one side and a S on the other. These new stars are a sort of modern
      manifestation of these earlier structural elements.

      >>> bdowney@... 11/21/2005 2:49:31 PM >>>

      Hi Folks,

      I'm hoping someone can answer this query I just got by email through
      the AotW website. Anyone recognize?

      "Our family recently visited Antietam National Battlefild. While
      driving around the surrounding area, we noticed at least a dozen
      houses with large metal, raised five-point stars hung prominently on
      outside walls. These were NOT pentagrams or occult-looking symbols
      but rather had a military star look to them. We were wondering if
      they symbolized something related to the nearby Civil War
      battlefields. Can you shed any light on this? We'd appreciate
      anything you can tell us or if you can steer us in the right
      direction".

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Marc73@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
        In a message dated 11/21/05 3:05:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        clemenst@... writes:

        Older structures used through-bolts to stabilize large buildings and
        the builders often used different motifs as a "washer" to show on the
        outside.

        Quite a few of the older farm houses in my area have this stabilization star
        system. Very common in central PA...

        Marc Riddell

        83rd PVI
        2nd USSS
        Potomac Legion
        Cent'l PA Rowing Association-President
        _http://www.rowpa.org_ (http://www.rowpa.org/)
        "Have You Flogged Your Crew Today?"

      • Brian Downey
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
          Thanks guys,

          I've seen these too - usually from maybe 6" to 18" across? Look like
          cast or maybe forged black iron? I'll ask if these were what our
          curious visitors saw.

          Thanks again,
          Brian