metal, raised five-point stars

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
      Hi Folks,

      I'm hoping someone can answer this query I just got by email through
      the AotW website. Anyone recognize?

      "Our family recently visited Antietam National Battlefild. While
      driving around the surrounding area, we noticed at least a dozen
      houses with large metal, raised five-point stars hung prominently on
      outside walls. These were NOT pentagrams or occult-looking symbols
      but rather had a military star look to them. We were wondering if
      they symbolized something related to the nearby Civil War
      battlefields. Can you shed any light on this? We'd appreciate
      anything you can tell us or if you can steer us in the right direction".
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
        No just decorative as far as I know.
        Older structures used through-bolts to stabilize large buildings and
        the builders often used different motifs as a "washer" to show on the
        outside. A good example is the large brick house on Alt. 40 at the
        eastern base of Turner's Gap. The black iron letters of the original
        owner's initials show on either end of the house, I think it is an H on
        one side and a S on the other. These new stars are a sort of modern
        manifestation of these earlier structural elements.

        >>> bdowney@... 11/21/2005 2:49:31 PM >>>

        Hi Folks,

        I'm hoping someone can answer this query I just got by email through
        the AotW website. Anyone recognize?

        "Our family recently visited Antietam National Battlefild. While
        driving around the surrounding area, we noticed at least a dozen
        houses with large metal, raised five-point stars hung prominently on
        outside walls. These were NOT pentagrams or occult-looking symbols
        but rather had a military star look to them. We were wondering if
        they symbolized something related to the nearby Civil War
        battlefields. Can you shed any light on this? We'd appreciate
        anything you can tell us or if you can steer us in the right
        direction".

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Marc73@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
          In a message dated 11/21/05 3:05:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          clemenst@... writes:

          Older structures used through-bolts to stabilize large buildings and
          the builders often used different motifs as a "washer" to show on the
          outside.

          Quite a few of the older farm houses in my area have this stabilization star
          system. Very common in central PA...

          Marc Riddell

          83rd PVI
          2nd USSS
          Potomac Legion
          Cent'l PA Rowing Association-President
          _http://www.rowpa.org_ (http://www.rowpa.org/)
          "Have You Flogged Your Crew Today?"

        • Brian Downey
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
            Thanks guys,

            I've seen these too - usually from maybe 6" to 18" across? Look like
            cast or maybe forged black iron? I'll ask if these were what our
            curious visitors saw.

            Thanks again,
            Brian