RE: [TalkAntietam] New easements

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
      It's in the Hagerstown paper today.

      Go here:

      http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory
      <http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=122826&format=html
      > &story_id=122826&format=html

      Harry

      -----Original Message-----
      From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of G E Mayers
      Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:05 AM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] New easements

      Harry,

      Something seems to be missing here? such as a press release?

      Very respectfully,

      to preserve it, save that of honour."

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
        I don't know Harry, will have to ask around. Haven't talked to John
        lately, nor seen today's copy of the Hagerstown Fish Wrap & Bird Cage
        Liner.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
          Tom;

          LOL. However, the two easements must be of property vital to continuing
          preservation efforts at Antietam NBP.

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
            From today's Hagersotwn Herald-Mail:

            GOVERNOR SAYS GROWTH, PRESERVATION GO TOGETHER

            Maryland Gov. Robert Ehrlich stressed the importance of economic development and land preservation Monday during a five-stop tour to sites in Washington County. Ehrlich said both are important and can be done at the same time.

            "They're not mutually exclusive, it's not a zero-sum proposition," he said. "Maryland's going to grow. To view it as a zero-sum, we reject. We know, given the state of technology today, we can grow appropriately and accommodate the growth." Ehrlich started a six-hour tour of Washington County at the FedEx Ground facility, where he told a crowd of just less than 300 that he was pleased with the company's decision to build here.

            "FedEx could go a lot of places," Ehrlich said. "They chose this place in this state in this time. For us, it's 400 jobs today and more to come, and that's great." In announcing a $50,000 Maryland Historical Trust Capital Grant to be used to preserve the Boonsboro Trolley Station, Ehrlich said Washington County is not alone in facing development and growth issues. "This is a beautiful town in a beautiful county in a beautiful region in a beautiful state," he said. "We're going to have to keep the small-town nature of these communities while acclimating ourselves to the growth in the watershed area."

            Ehrlich also announced $3.3 million in funding from a variety of federal, state and county sources to buy the easement rights for 828 acres of land adjacent to Saint James School, which served as the middle ground between the battles at Gettysburg and Antietam.

            Saint James Headmaster Stuart D. Dunnan said for more than a decade he feared the land would be lost to development, and he praised Ehrlich's assistance in helping to preserve it. "(Development's) moving, so there is another army moving up the Sharpsburg Pike," he said. "We need to preserve our setting. And, I frankly (have) been terrified about this for 14 years."

            Del. Christopher B. Shank, R-Washington, said the governor's announcement helps preserve the historic fabric of Washington County. It reduces the effects development would have on the county's resources and ensures the vitality of tourism in Washington County.

            POSTED BY: Tom Shay

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
              Thanks Tom Shay,
              I didn't think it was anything close to the battlefield, and it isn't,
              but still is good news. St. James School occupies the ridge between the
              Downsville Pike and Sharpsburg Pike. It was indeed part of the
              stand-off in 1863 as Lee fortified the ridge to the west along
              Downsville Pike, and Meade had troops just east of St. James. The
              connection of this ground to Antietam is tenuous at best, as it is
              several miles from Sharpsburg, and other than FitzJohn Porter's mother
              being employed there, had little to do with the battle. Still, I am all
              for easements anywhere in Washington County!
              Tom Clemens

              >>> rotbaron@... 10/25/2005 3:11:09 PM >>>

              From today's Hagersotwn Herald-Mail: