New easements

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
      Where are the easements which the Governor announced the state was
      purchasing (two easements totaling 828 acres), and how will this affect
      interpretation and access?

      Harry

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
        Harry,

        Something seems to be missing here? such as a press release?

        Very respectfully,

        to preserve it, save that of honour."

        > Where are the easements which the Governor announced the state was
        > purchasing (two easements totaling 828 acres), and how will this affect
        > interpretation and access?
        >

        > Harry

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
          It's in the Hagerstown paper today.

          Go here:

          http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory
          <http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=122826&format=html
          > &story_id=122826&format=html

          Harry

          Something seems to be missing here? such as a press release?

          Very respectfully,

          to preserve it, save that of honour."

          > Where are the easements which the Governor announced the state was
          > purchasing (two easements totaling 828 acres), and how will this affect
          > interpretation and access?
          >

          > Harry

          ----

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa
          r&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+art&w5=American+ci
          vil+war+soldier&w6=American+civil+war+history&c=6&s=154&.sig=yMxhAk0W20i5kpy
          2u_LXBQ> civil war

          Civil
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war
          &w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+art&w5=American+civ
          il+war+soldier&w6=American+civil+war+history&c=6&s=154&.sig=ecWd7Ucxxl7Y8f1d
          rRx3Sg> war history

          Civil
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi
          l+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+art&w5=American+civil+war+s
          oldier&w6=American+civil+war+history&c=6&s=154&.sig=QDEt7zHt8COsl-6SWEohWA>
          war

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi
          l+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+art&w5=America
          n+civil+war+soldier&w6=American+civil+war+history&c=6&s=154&.sig=gghFPs0kZJo
          czY7jQKTznw> civil war art

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+soldier&w1=American+
          civil+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+art&w5=Ame
          rican+civil+war+soldier&w6=American+civil+war+history&c=6&s=154&.sig=AcQnVSW
          AoEZU5NiYoAEVyQ> civil war soldier

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+civil+war+history&w1=American+
          civil+war&w2=Civil+war+history&w3=Civil+war&w4=American+civil+war+art&w5=Ame
          rican+civil+war+soldier&w6=American+civil+war+history&c=6&s=154&.sig=tvzBJwZ
          twBB82jdeUBbHlQ> civil war history

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
            I don't know Harry, will have to ask around. Haven't talked to John
            lately, nor seen today's copy of the Hagerstown Fish Wrap & Bird Cage
            Liner.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
              Tom;

              LOL. However, the two easements must be of property vital to continuing
              preservation efforts at Antietam NBP.

            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
                From today's Hagersotwn Herald-Mail:

                GOVERNOR SAYS GROWTH, PRESERVATION GO TOGETHER

                Maryland Gov. Robert Ehrlich stressed the importance of economic development and land preservation Monday during a five-stop tour to sites in Washington County. Ehrlich said both are important and can be done at the same time.

                "They're not mutually exclusive, it's not a zero-sum proposition," he said. "Maryland's going to grow. To view it as a zero-sum, we reject. We know, given the state of technology today, we can grow appropriately and accommodate the growth." Ehrlich started a six-hour tour of Washington County at the FedEx Ground facility, where he told a crowd of just less than 300 that he was pleased with the company's decision to build here.

                "FedEx could go a lot of places," Ehrlich said. "They chose this place in this state in this time. For us, it's 400 jobs today and more to come, and that's great." In announcing a $50,000 Maryland Historical Trust Capital Grant to be used to preserve the Boonsboro Trolley Station, Ehrlich said Washington County is not alone in facing development and growth issues. "This is a beautiful town in a beautiful county in a beautiful region in a beautiful state," he said. "We're going to have to keep the small-town nature of these communities while acclimating ourselves to the growth in the watershed area."

                Ehrlich also announced $3.3 million in funding from a variety of federal, state and county sources to buy the easement rights for 828 acres of land adjacent to Saint James School, which served as the middle ground between the battles at Gettysburg and Antietam.

                Saint James Headmaster Stuart D. Dunnan said for more than a decade he feared the land would be lost to development, and he praised Ehrlich's assistance in helping to preserve it. "(Development's) moving, so there is another army moving up the Sharpsburg Pike," he said. "We need to preserve our setting. And, I frankly (have) been terrified about this for 14 years."

                Del. Christopher B. Shank, R-Washington, said the governor's announcement helps preserve the historic fabric of Washington County. It reduces the effects development would have on the county's resources and ensures the vitality of tourism in Washington County.

                POSTED BY: Tom Shay

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
                  Thanks Tom Shay,
                  I didn't think it was anything close to the battlefield, and it isn't,
                  but still is good news. St. James School occupies the ridge between the
                  Downsville Pike and Sharpsburg Pike. It was indeed part of the
                  stand-off in 1863 as Lee fortified the ridge to the west along
                  Downsville Pike, and Meade had troops just east of St. James. The
                  connection of this ground to Antietam is tenuous at best, as it is
                  several miles from Sharpsburg, and other than FitzJohn Porter's mother
                  being employed there, had little to do with the battle. Still, I am all
                  for easements anywhere in Washington County!
                  Tom Clemens

                  >>> rotbaron@... 10/25/2005 3:11:09 PM >>>

                  From today's Hagersotwn Herald-Mail: