Re: bibliography

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@a... wrote:

      > Tom,
      > I found the article, you were kinda sly in not mentioning that it
      was you
      > that wrote that article. I was wondering your opinion of a couple
      of books not
      > mentioned in your article.
      > A Matter of Hours by Paul Teetor
      > Lee Moves North by Michael Palmer
      > North with Lee and Jackson by James Kegel

      Palmer's is a truly dreadful book. His main thesis is that Robert E.
      Lee "exceeded his authority" by raiding into the North twice without
      the approval of Jefferson Davis, possibly entertaining political
      ambitions of his own. Palmer conveniently ignores the fact that Davis
      *was* consulted both times, and that both raids had Davis' approval.
      The book is historical revisionism at its absolute worst and
      literally not worth the paper it's printed on.

      On the other hand, Kegel's book is *excellent* (one of my favorites,
      in fact), containing extensive footnotes and lots of interesting
      minutiae. It's not strictly an "Antietam" book, though, but it does
      show the "flow" of the early war period (how each battle was actually
      an outgrowth of its predecessor).

      Just my $0.02

      -- Steve Lopez
    • historygirl@adelphia.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
        Steve,
        There is a stone wall west of the bypass on Lynn Flook's farm which is supposedly that wall. It seems a little too far north to me, but haven't looked at it closely. I think Jay Luvaas identified it as the wall. Maybe it extended farther south and east before the bypass was put in.
        Tom Clemens

        ---- Stephen Recker wrote:

        =============
        I'm trying to find any sites specific to the 1st Minnesota at Antietam,
        especially the stone wall that they took a position at near the
        Poffenberger farm. I'm guessing that it got flattened when Rt. 65
        Bypass was put in, but am not sure. If anyone has hints I'd love to
        hear them Thanks.

        Stephen Recker

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        *> To visit your group on the web, go to:

        *> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

        *> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 25, 2005
          Dear Nick,

          As another person somewhat knowledgeable about the Battle of Sharpsburg and
          in particular about the Sunken Road fight, I might possibly be able to be of
          assistance...depending on when your group makes its trip.

          Very respectfully,

          to preserve it, save that of honour."

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 25, 2005
            I'll keep you posted. Sounds like we'll have a wealth of knowledgable
            people wanting to join along, sounds good to me.
            --Nick

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
              I just got a call from a woman who needs two Manassas tour guides from
              2pm - 4pm this Saturday. If you would like me to pass on your name
              please contact me by private email. Thanks.

              Stephen Recker
              Director, Antietam Tours

              P.O. Box 705
              Sharpsburg, MD 21782
              240-217-3664
              800-417-9596

              http://www.virtualantietam.com
              http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
              http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                Stephen;

                When do you plan the next phase of initial tests for possible Antietam Tour
                Guides?

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                  Can't help, my daughter is getting married that day. Would like to talk
                  wit hyou about SHAF's website when convenient.

                  >>> recker@... 10/5/2005 2:30:03 PM >>>
                  I just got a call from a woman who needs two Manassas tour guides from

                  2pm - 4pm this Saturday. If you would like me to pass on your name
                  please contact me by private email. Thanks.

                  Stephen Recker
                  Director, Antietam Tours

                  P.O. Box 705
                  Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                  240-217-3664
                  800-417-9596

                  http://www.virtualantietam.com
                  http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                  http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com

                  American civil war Civil war history Civil war American civil war book
                  American civil war art Civil war battles
                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                    Stephen,

                    I would suggest you contact Dick Weeks directly. He is very knowledgeable
                    about the field.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005

                      Thanks for the question. Tests are being given on an as-needed basis.
                      Anyone who is interested in taking the test to be a guide at Antietam
                      National Battlefield should contact me directly and we'll get you
                      signed up. Thanks.

                      Regards,