1st Minnesota @ Antietam

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
      I'm trying to find any sites specific to the 1st Minnesota at Antietam,
      especially the stone wall that they took a position at near the
      Poffenberger farm. I'm guessing that it got flattened when Rt. 65
      Bypass was put in, but am not sure. If anyone has hints I'd love to
      hear them Thanks.

      Stephen Recker
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@a... wrote:

        > Tom,
        > I found the article, you were kinda sly in not mentioning that it
        was you
        > that wrote that article. I was wondering your opinion of a couple
        of books not
        > mentioned in your article.
        > A Matter of Hours by Paul Teetor
        > Lee Moves North by Michael Palmer
        > North with Lee and Jackson by James Kegel

        Palmer's is a truly dreadful book. His main thesis is that Robert E.
        Lee "exceeded his authority" by raiding into the North twice without
        the approval of Jefferson Davis, possibly entertaining political
        ambitions of his own. Palmer conveniently ignores the fact that Davis
        *was* consulted both times, and that both raids had Davis' approval.
        The book is historical revisionism at its absolute worst and
        literally not worth the paper it's printed on.

        On the other hand, Kegel's book is *excellent* (one of my favorites,
        in fact), containing extensive footnotes and lots of interesting
        minutiae. It's not strictly an "Antietam" book, though, but it does
        show the "flow" of the early war period (how each battle was actually
        an outgrowth of its predecessor).

        Just my $0.02

        -- Steve Lopez
      • historygirl@adelphia.net
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
          Steve,
          There is a stone wall west of the bypass on Lynn Flook's farm which is supposedly that wall. It seems a little too far north to me, but haven't looked at it closely. I think Jay Luvaas identified it as the wall. Maybe it extended farther south and east before the bypass was put in.
          Tom Clemens

          ---- Stephen Recker wrote:

          =============
          I'm trying to find any sites specific to the 1st Minnesota at Antietam,
          especially the stone wall that they took a position at near the
          Poffenberger farm. I'm guessing that it got flattened when Rt. 65
          Bypass was put in, but am not sure. If anyone has hints I'd love to
          hear them Thanks.

          Stephen Recker

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          *> To visit your group on the web, go to:

          *> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

          *> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 25, 2005
            Dear Nick,

            As another person somewhat knowledgeable about the Battle of Sharpsburg and
            in particular about the Sunken Road fight, I might possibly be able to be of
            assistance...depending on when your group makes its trip.

            Very respectfully,

            to preserve it, save that of honour."

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 25, 2005
              I'll keep you posted. Sounds like we'll have a wealth of knowledgable
              people wanting to join along, sounds good to me.
              --Nick

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                I just got a call from a woman who needs two Manassas tour guides from
                2pm - 4pm this Saturday. If you would like me to pass on your name
                please contact me by private email. Thanks.

                Stephen Recker
                Director, Antietam Tours

                P.O. Box 705
                Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                240-217-3664
                800-417-9596

                http://www.virtualantietam.com
                http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                  Stephen;

                  When do you plan the next phase of initial tests for possible Antietam Tour
                  Guides?

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                    Can't help, my daughter is getting married that day. Would like to talk
                    wit hyou about SHAF's website when convenient.

                    >>> recker@... 10/5/2005 2:30:03 PM >>>
                    I just got a call from a woman who needs two Manassas tour guides from

                    2pm - 4pm this Saturday. If you would like me to pass on your name
                    please contact me by private email. Thanks.

                    Stephen Recker
                    Director, Antietam Tours

                    P.O. Box 705
                    Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                    240-217-3664
                    800-417-9596

                    http://www.virtualantietam.com
                    http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                    http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com

                    American civil war Civil war history Civil war American civil war book
                    American civil war art Civil war battles
                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                      Stephen,

                      I would suggest you contact Dick Weeks directly. He is very knowledgeable
                      about the field.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005

                        Thanks for the question. Tests are being given on an as-needed basis.
                        Anyone who is interested in taking the test to be a guide at Antietam
                        National Battlefield should contact me directly and we'll get you
                        signed up. Thanks.

                        Regards,