Re: [TalkAntietam] bibliography

  • nickrelee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
      Good luck with that, you really have an ambitious project there.

      I've read Kegel but not the other two and thought I'd ask a better source
      before I tackled those myself.

      --Nick

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
        I'm trying to find any sites specific to the 1st Minnesota at Antietam,
        especially the stone wall that they took a position at near the
        Poffenberger farm. I'm guessing that it got flattened when Rt. 65
        Bypass was put in, but am not sure. If anyone has hints I'd love to
        hear them Thanks.

        Stephen Recker
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@a... wrote:

          > Tom,
          > I found the article, you were kinda sly in not mentioning that it
          was you
          > that wrote that article. I was wondering your opinion of a couple
          of books not
          > mentioned in your article.
          > A Matter of Hours by Paul Teetor
          > Lee Moves North by Michael Palmer
          > North with Lee and Jackson by James Kegel

          Palmer's is a truly dreadful book. His main thesis is that Robert E.
          Lee "exceeded his authority" by raiding into the North twice without
          the approval of Jefferson Davis, possibly entertaining political
          ambitions of his own. Palmer conveniently ignores the fact that Davis
          *was* consulted both times, and that both raids had Davis' approval.
          The book is historical revisionism at its absolute worst and
          literally not worth the paper it's printed on.

          On the other hand, Kegel's book is *excellent* (one of my favorites,
          in fact), containing extensive footnotes and lots of interesting
          minutiae. It's not strictly an "Antietam" book, though, but it does
          show the "flow" of the early war period (how each battle was actually
          an outgrowth of its predecessor).

          Just my $0.02

          -- Steve Lopez
        • historygirl@adelphia.net
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
            Steve,
            There is a stone wall west of the bypass on Lynn Flook's farm which is supposedly that wall. It seems a little too far north to me, but haven't looked at it closely. I think Jay Luvaas identified it as the wall. Maybe it extended farther south and east before the bypass was put in.
            Tom Clemens

            ---- Stephen Recker wrote:

            =============
            I'm trying to find any sites specific to the 1st Minnesota at Antietam,
            especially the stone wall that they took a position at near the
            Poffenberger farm. I'm guessing that it got flattened when Rt. 65
            Bypass was put in, but am not sure. If anyone has hints I'd love to
            hear them Thanks.

            Stephen Recker

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            *> To visit your group on the web, go to:

            *> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

            *> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 25, 2005
              Dear Nick,

              As another person somewhat knowledgeable about the Battle of Sharpsburg and
              in particular about the Sunken Road fight, I might possibly be able to be of
              assistance...depending on when your group makes its trip.

              Very respectfully,

              to preserve it, save that of honour."

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 25, 2005
                I'll keep you posted. Sounds like we'll have a wealth of knowledgable
                people wanting to join along, sounds good to me.
                --Nick

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                  I just got a call from a woman who needs two Manassas tour guides from
                  2pm - 4pm this Saturday. If you would like me to pass on your name
                  please contact me by private email. Thanks.

                  Stephen Recker
                  Director, Antietam Tours

                  P.O. Box 705
                  Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                  240-217-3664
                  800-417-9596

                  http://www.virtualantietam.com
                  http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                  http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                    Stephen;

                    When do you plan the next phase of initial tests for possible Antietam Tour
                    Guides?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                      Can't help, my daughter is getting married that day. Would like to talk
                      wit hyou about SHAF's website when convenient.

                      >>> recker@... 10/5/2005 2:30:03 PM >>>
                      I just got a call from a woman who needs two Manassas tour guides from

                      2pm - 4pm this Saturday. If you would like me to pass on your name
                      please contact me by private email. Thanks.

                      Stephen Recker
                      Director, Antietam Tours

                      P.O. Box 705
                      Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                      240-217-3664
                      800-417-9596

                      http://www.virtualantietam.com
                      http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                      http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com

                      American civil war Civil war history Civil war American civil war book
                      American civil war art Civil war battles
                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                        Stephen,

                        I would suggest you contact Dick Weeks directly. He is very knowledgeable
                        about the field.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005

                          Thanks for the question. Tests are being given on an as-needed basis.
                          Anyone who is interested in taking the test to be a guide at Antietam
                          National Battlefield should contact me directly and we'll get you
                          signed up. Thanks.

                          Regards,