Ok this is a gettysburg question but it may have happened at Antietam?

  • vojvoda13@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2001
      RFI
      Several months ago I was reading in one of the American
      Civil War magazines about a Confederate General with out portfolio
      whom was captured at Gettysburg and remained in union hands until the
      end of the war. On my last visit to the battle field park I ask
      several of the park service personnel if they knew the story and had
      any information. To my surprise I was unable to find any information
      and have since been unable to locate the article. As I remember the
      story this General was a bit of rouge and had been with out a command
      for sometime. I believe that he was with the Army of Northern
      Virginia on his own accord and the circumstance was somewhat
      ambiguous as to his capture. For some unknown reason there was never
      an attempt to parole or trade him during his captivity. I would like
      to at least find his name. From there I can do further research.
      Thanks in advance for the information.

      VR
      James Mattes
    • Curt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2001
        James,

        This was Maj. Gen. Isaac R. Trimble, a fine, if irascible commander. He
        was badly wounded at Second Manassas and so, missed Antietam. He had
        the command of the Valley District at the time of Gettysburg but was in
        effect a supernumerary. He took over Pender's Div. at Gettysburg, vice
        Pender MWIA. He was wounded and capt. in the Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble
        charge.

        Curt Johnson
        McLean, Va.