Re: [TalkAntietam] bibliography

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
      The Carman Manuscript is available at Antietam's Library. It is also
      available at a super cheap price by purchasing Sid Meier's Antietam PC. I got mine to
      $5.95. The manuscript is on that CD, although not noted on the game menu. It
      is my understanding that only a few excepts are missing. I own the CD and have
      printed the entire manuscript. It is a thorough tactical study of the battle
      and I refer to it often.

      If you would welcome company on your upcoming visit to Antietam, you should
      post the dates. Based on availability, it's possible myself or others could
      join you or even assist with some tours. I've got material on several field hikes
      that I always enjoy doing.

    • nickrelee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
        I do have a copy of Sid Meier's but when I made a chart of the chapters as
        saved on the disk (because the disk sometimes gave them a different number) it
        appears that the disk is missing chapters 1-5,14 and anything past 21, which
        may not even exist. Maybe I'm not looking thru the disk correctly.

        Speaking for myself I'd say the more the merrier on the trip. We just got
        back from this year's trip on Monday (middle tennessee - franklin, nashville,
        spring hill, stones river) so I'm not even sure when we'll start Antietam.
        We just had decided earlier this year that Antietam was next. Right now I'm
        gathering maps, order of battle, biographies (from Warners 2 books) to make a
        binder for us to use. I'm not sure if we'll start before Christmas or not,
        anyway to shorten the story, I think we'll be happy to have others join us.
        My guess is we'll go in August-October.

        Maybe you (or anyone else) can give some opinion on how to break up the
        study. My idea was:
        1-Second Manassas
        2-the march north
        3-Harper's Ferry
        4-South Mountain
        5-Antietam, cornfield
        6-Antietam, sunken road
        7-Antietam, burnside's bridge
        8-return to Virginia
        Under that setup, if our first meeting was in January then we'd be done in
        August and the trip could be Aug, Sept or Oct. We meet for about 1 to 1.5
        hours each month so I was wondering if maybe Antietam should be broken into
        maybe 5 meetings. Do it as Hooker/Mansfield assault, Sumner into the woods,
        sunken road and burnside's bridge. That'd be 4 and the fifth could either be 2
        on the sunken road or AP Hill's attack. Do you think there is enough stuff
        happening that devoting 2 meetings to either the middle or southern areas would
        be worthwhile? Does all that make sense?

        --Nick K

      • nickrelee@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
          I found the article, you were kinda sly in not mentioning that it was you
          that wrote that article. I was wondering your opinion of a couple of books not
          mentioned in your article.
          A Matter of Hours by Paul Teetor
          Lee Moves North by Michael Palmer
          North with Lee and Jackson by James Kegel

          Also how is your edition of Carman's manuscript faring?
          --Nick

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
            I would also recommend (actually require) that a detailed tactical study of
            the battle use the Carman maps. They are available on CD-ROM from the Park Book
            Storeat at a cheap price. Just be aware your color cartridges will be
            exhausted if you start printing sections of those maps. The software is great for
            zooming in to a particular action and printing the unit positions. I can provide
            samples if needed.

          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
              In a message dated 9/23/05 8:56:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              nickrelee@... writes:
              5-Antietam, cornfield
              6-Antietam, sunken road
              7-Antietam, burnside's bridge
              I would recommend West Woods as another portion of the battle. Plenty of
              ground and action beyond the Cornfield.

            • Brian Downey
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
                Hi Nick,

                You might also find Antietam on the Web (http://aotw.org) a useful
                resource for maps, bios, drill-down orders of battle, further
                references, etc - if you'll forgive the shameless self-promotion.

                Tom Shay's absolutely right about the Carman-Cope maps, of course, but
                you can get them for free online from the Library of Congress,
                including that fabulous zooming viewer. I've used my digital set a lot.

                Rather then the middle or southern sections, I'd think the northern
                portion of the field could easily take two meetings, if one had the
                time. Somewhat more complex action and broader scope there, it seems
                to me.

                For references, it's always good to return to the ORs also. These are
                available online in a couple of places, if you don't already have
                access locally. I've posted the 315 after-action reports which refer
                to the Maryland Campaign on AotW also :).

                I, too, hunger for a complete Carman manuscript, but that'll have to
                wait til Dr Clemens publishes or I get the time at the Library of
                Congress it'll take to xerox the thing. If they'll let me.

                Regards,
                Brian

              • nickrelee@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
                  I've visited the aotw.org site before, its pretty good. I think I will
                  order that CD because one of our members manages a kinkos production facility and
                  he can make nice print outs, laminated if need be, etc. I did see them
                  online but the CD is probably the way to go.

                  So its sounding like we should definetly do 2 meetings on the northern areas
                  of the battlefield, any thoughts on the sunken road and burnside's bridge?

                  --Nick

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
                    Nick,
                    It wasn't important to identify the author, soI didn't :-)
                    I have not read Teetor's book, waiting for Dennis Frye's. Kagel is
                    worth reading, and IIRC, there were so many bad reviews of the other
                    book that I didn't read it either. I am away from home right now so I
                    cannot put my hands on things to jog memory. As for the Carman
                    manuscript & Sid Mier, Joe Harsh typed most of the manuscript. What is
                    in the LOC is handwritten and very difficult to read. He sold that to
                    Sid, which helped fund his research for TAF, etc. Mier only wanted the
                    battle chapters so he ignored the chapters you mention, all the way
                    through Chap. 29.
                    I have done a lot of work editing the first seven or so, but when I got
                    to the battle chapters I discovered Carman was leaning heavily on the
                    OR's, but also on letters and interviews with veterans who returned to
                    the field. Frequently he copies these works word-for-word, but often
                    without citations. Because I am trying to find out HOW Carman came to
                    know what he wrote, and how accurate it is, I needed to get the letters
                    organized. That is proving a mammoth undertaking.
                    The letters are scattered, some in the Nat'l. Archives, some in the NY
                    Public Lib, some in the New Jersey Historical Society, and he had access
                    to some of the Gould Papers. So far I have collected about 6-700 hard
                    copies of letters, maps, notes by Carman, etc, from these repositories
                    and put them in folders by brigade, etc. I am now going through the NA
                    microfilm to see what else exists, and it is a lot. Likely over 600
                    more entries, maybe more. When I can assemble all of that, then I can
                    compare what Carman wrote to what sources he used. Essentially I am
                    just compiling one H*** of a lot of footnotes and a bibliography.
                    He is usually as accurate as any later study, but there are times when
                    he is wrong, such as believing John Walker's B&L account, but he is far
                    more often correct. Maddeninly, there are time when there appears to be
                    no source at all for some of his stories, such as Lee's viewing the
                    field from the east ridge of the Antietam on Sept. 15 a.m. He must have
                    gotten it from someone, but who? No clue so far.
                    There are, BTW, some great stories and anecdotes in the letters. Don't
                    look for my work being published anytime soon.
                    Tom C

                    >>> nickrelee@... 09/23/05 8:47 PM >>>
                  • nickrelee@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
                      Good luck with that, you really have an ambitious project there.

                      I've read Kegel but not the other two and thought I'd ask a better source
                      before I tackled those myself.

                      --Nick

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
                        I'm trying to find any sites specific to the 1st Minnesota at Antietam,
                        especially the stone wall that they took a position at near the
                        Poffenberger farm. I'm guessing that it got flattened when Rt. 65
                        Bypass was put in, but am not sure. If anyone has hints I'd love to
                        hear them Thanks.

                        Stephen Recker
                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
                          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@a... wrote:

                          > Tom,
                          > I found the article, you were kinda sly in not mentioning that it
                          was you
                          > that wrote that article. I was wondering your opinion of a couple
                          of books not
                          > mentioned in your article.
                          > A Matter of Hours by Paul Teetor
                          > Lee Moves North by Michael Palmer
                          > North with Lee and Jackson by James Kegel

                          Palmer's is a truly dreadful book. His main thesis is that Robert E.
                          Lee "exceeded his authority" by raiding into the North twice without
                          the approval of Jefferson Davis, possibly entertaining political
                          ambitions of his own. Palmer conveniently ignores the fact that Davis
                          *was* consulted both times, and that both raids had Davis' approval.
                          The book is historical revisionism at its absolute worst and
                          literally not worth the paper it's printed on.

                          On the other hand, Kegel's book is *excellent* (one of my favorites,
                          in fact), containing extensive footnotes and lots of interesting
                          minutiae. It's not strictly an "Antietam" book, though, but it does
                          show the "flow" of the early war period (how each battle was actually
                          an outgrowth of its predecessor).

                          Just my $0.02

                          -- Steve Lopez
                        • historygirl@adelphia.net
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
                            Steve,
                            There is a stone wall west of the bypass on Lynn Flook's farm which is supposedly that wall. It seems a little too far north to me, but haven't looked at it closely. I think Jay Luvaas identified it as the wall. Maybe it extended farther south and east before the bypass was put in.
                            Tom Clemens

                            ---- Stephen Recker wrote:

                            =============
                            I'm trying to find any sites specific to the 1st Minnesota at Antietam,
                            especially the stone wall that they took a position at near the
                            Poffenberger farm. I'm guessing that it got flattened when Rt. 65
                            Bypass was put in, but am not sure. If anyone has hints I'd love to
                            hear them Thanks.

                            Stephen Recker

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            *> To visit your group on the web, go to:

                            *> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                            *> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 25, 2005
                              Dear Nick,

                              As another person somewhat knowledgeable about the Battle of Sharpsburg and
                              in particular about the Sunken Road fight, I might possibly be able to be of
                              assistance...depending on when your group makes its trip.

                              Very respectfully,

                              to preserve it, save that of honour."

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 25, 2005
                                I'll keep you posted. Sounds like we'll have a wealth of knowledgable
                                people wanting to join along, sounds good to me.
                                --Nick

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                                  I just got a call from a woman who needs two Manassas tour guides from
                                  2pm - 4pm this Saturday. If you would like me to pass on your name
                                  please contact me by private email. Thanks.

                                  Stephen Recker
                                  Director, Antietam Tours

                                  P.O. Box 705
                                  Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                                  240-217-3664
                                  800-417-9596

                                  http://www.virtualantietam.com
                                  http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                                  http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                                    Stephen;

                                    When do you plan the next phase of initial tests for possible Antietam Tour
                                    Guides?

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                                      Can't help, my daughter is getting married that day. Would like to talk
                                      wit hyou about SHAF's website when convenient.

                                      >>> recker@... 10/5/2005 2:30:03 PM >>>
                                      I just got a call from a woman who needs two Manassas tour guides from

                                      2pm - 4pm this Saturday. If you would like me to pass on your name
                                      please contact me by private email. Thanks.

                                      Stephen Recker
                                      Director, Antietam Tours

                                      P.O. Box 705
                                      Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                                      240-217-3664
                                      800-417-9596

                                      http://www.virtualantietam.com
                                      http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                                      http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com

                                      American civil war Civil war history Civil war American civil war book
                                      American civil war art Civil war battles
                                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                                        Stephen,

                                        I would suggest you contact Dick Weeks directly. He is very knowledgeable
                                        about the field.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005

                                          Thanks for the question. Tests are being given on an as-needed basis.
                                          Anyone who is interested in taking the test to be a guide at Antietam
                                          National Battlefield should contact me directly and we'll get you
                                          signed up. Thanks.

                                          Regards,