[TalkAntietam] bibliography

  • nickrelee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 22, 2005
      Each year my roundtable studies a particular campaign or battle and then
      visits the area at the conclusion of the study. Next year we are going to do
      Antietam. I'm kinda the appointed gatherer of info, so I was wondering if
      there is a really complete bibliography on the web out there or in someone's own
      mind? Since we take a year we really look to dive deeper than just Sears,
      Murfin and Harsh. Is Carman's manuscript available? We'll also study Harpers
      Ferry and South Mountain, we might even delve a bit into Second
      Manassas-Chantilly.

      Also we really like to hike (we'll probably spend 2 days tramping around
      Antietam, maybe 3) but I'm aware that some of the fields at Antietam are more or
      less private but that they do allow hikers when it won't damage crops. Is
      that true? And if so what time of year would be best to hike anywhere we feel
      like it?

      --Nick

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
        There was an article written in America's Civil War special issue on
        Antietam that is a bibliography of the campaign. I can talk to you aout
        a tour if you interested. Also the bookstore now runs tours. There are
        some places with limited access but with permission some can be walked.
        Tom C.

        >>> nickrelee@... 09/22/05 8:42 PM >>>
      • nickrelee@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
          I'm sure we'll be interested in a tour from you. We haven't yet picked
          dates or anything. I think I have that issue somewhere around here.
          --Nick

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
            The Carman Manuscript is available at Antietam's Library. It is also
            available at a super cheap price by purchasing Sid Meier's Antietam PC. I got mine to
            $5.95. The manuscript is on that CD, although not noted on the game menu. It
            is my understanding that only a few excepts are missing. I own the CD and have
            printed the entire manuscript. It is a thorough tactical study of the battle
            and I refer to it often.

            If you would welcome company on your upcoming visit to Antietam, you should
            post the dates. Based on availability, it's possible myself or others could
            join you or even assist with some tours. I've got material on several field hikes
            that I always enjoy doing.

          • nickrelee@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
              I do have a copy of Sid Meier's but when I made a chart of the chapters as
              saved on the disk (because the disk sometimes gave them a different number) it
              appears that the disk is missing chapters 1-5,14 and anything past 21, which
              may not even exist. Maybe I'm not looking thru the disk correctly.

              Speaking for myself I'd say the more the merrier on the trip. We just got
              back from this year's trip on Monday (middle tennessee - franklin, nashville,
              spring hill, stones river) so I'm not even sure when we'll start Antietam.
              We just had decided earlier this year that Antietam was next. Right now I'm
              gathering maps, order of battle, biographies (from Warners 2 books) to make a
              binder for us to use. I'm not sure if we'll start before Christmas or not,
              anyway to shorten the story, I think we'll be happy to have others join us.
              My guess is we'll go in August-October.

              Maybe you (or anyone else) can give some opinion on how to break up the
              study. My idea was:
              1-Second Manassas
              2-the march north
              3-Harper's Ferry
              4-South Mountain
              5-Antietam, cornfield
              6-Antietam, sunken road
              7-Antietam, burnside's bridge
              8-return to Virginia
              Under that setup, if our first meeting was in January then we'd be done in
              August and the trip could be Aug, Sept or Oct. We meet for about 1 to 1.5
              hours each month so I was wondering if maybe Antietam should be broken into
              maybe 5 meetings. Do it as Hooker/Mansfield assault, Sumner into the woods,
              sunken road and burnside's bridge. That'd be 4 and the fifth could either be 2
              on the sunken road or AP Hill's attack. Do you think there is enough stuff
              happening that devoting 2 meetings to either the middle or southern areas would
              be worthwhile? Does all that make sense?

              --Nick K

            • nickrelee@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
                I found the article, you were kinda sly in not mentioning that it was you
                that wrote that article. I was wondering your opinion of a couple of books not
                mentioned in your article.
                A Matter of Hours by Paul Teetor
                Lee Moves North by Michael Palmer
                North with Lee and Jackson by James Kegel

                Also how is your edition of Carman's manuscript faring?
                --Nick

              • rotbaron@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
                  I would also recommend (actually require) that a detailed tactical study of
                  the battle use the Carman maps. They are available on CD-ROM from the Park Book
                  Storeat at a cheap price. Just be aware your color cartridges will be
                  exhausted if you start printing sections of those maps. The software is great for
                  zooming in to a particular action and printing the unit positions. I can provide
                  samples if needed.

                • rotbaron@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
                    In a message dated 9/23/05 8:56:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    nickrelee@... writes:
                    5-Antietam, cornfield
                    6-Antietam, sunken road
                    7-Antietam, burnside's bridge
                    I would recommend West Woods as another portion of the battle. Plenty of
                    ground and action beyond the Cornfield.

                  • Brian Downey
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
                      Hi Nick,

                      You might also find Antietam on the Web (http://aotw.org) a useful
                      resource for maps, bios, drill-down orders of battle, further
                      references, etc - if you'll forgive the shameless self-promotion.

                      Tom Shay's absolutely right about the Carman-Cope maps, of course, but
                      you can get them for free online from the Library of Congress,
                      including that fabulous zooming viewer. I've used my digital set a lot.

                      Rather then the middle or southern sections, I'd think the northern
                      portion of the field could easily take two meetings, if one had the
                      time. Somewhat more complex action and broader scope there, it seems
                      to me.

                      For references, it's always good to return to the ORs also. These are
                      available online in a couple of places, if you don't already have
                      access locally. I've posted the 315 after-action reports which refer
                      to the Maryland Campaign on AotW also :).

                      I, too, hunger for a complete Carman manuscript, but that'll have to
                      wait til Dr Clemens publishes or I get the time at the Library of
                      Congress it'll take to xerox the thing. If they'll let me.

                      Regards,
                      Brian

                    • nickrelee@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 23, 2005
                        I've visited the aotw.org site before, its pretty good. I think I will
                        order that CD because one of our members manages a kinkos production facility and
                        he can make nice print outs, laminated if need be, etc. I did see them
                        online but the CD is probably the way to go.

                        So its sounding like we should definetly do 2 meetings on the northern areas
                        of the battlefield, any thoughts on the sunken road and burnside's bridge?

                        --Nick

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
                          Nick,
                          It wasn't important to identify the author, soI didn't :-)
                          I have not read Teetor's book, waiting for Dennis Frye's. Kagel is
                          worth reading, and IIRC, there were so many bad reviews of the other
                          book that I didn't read it either. I am away from home right now so I
                          cannot put my hands on things to jog memory. As for the Carman
                          manuscript & Sid Mier, Joe Harsh typed most of the manuscript. What is
                          in the LOC is handwritten and very difficult to read. He sold that to
                          Sid, which helped fund his research for TAF, etc. Mier only wanted the
                          battle chapters so he ignored the chapters you mention, all the way
                          through Chap. 29.
                          I have done a lot of work editing the first seven or so, but when I got
                          to the battle chapters I discovered Carman was leaning heavily on the
                          OR's, but also on letters and interviews with veterans who returned to
                          the field. Frequently he copies these works word-for-word, but often
                          without citations. Because I am trying to find out HOW Carman came to
                          know what he wrote, and how accurate it is, I needed to get the letters
                          organized. That is proving a mammoth undertaking.
                          The letters are scattered, some in the Nat'l. Archives, some in the NY
                          Public Lib, some in the New Jersey Historical Society, and he had access
                          to some of the Gould Papers. So far I have collected about 6-700 hard
                          copies of letters, maps, notes by Carman, etc, from these repositories
                          and put them in folders by brigade, etc. I am now going through the NA
                          microfilm to see what else exists, and it is a lot. Likely over 600
                          more entries, maybe more. When I can assemble all of that, then I can
                          compare what Carman wrote to what sources he used. Essentially I am
                          just compiling one H*** of a lot of footnotes and a bibliography.
                          He is usually as accurate as any later study, but there are times when
                          he is wrong, such as believing John Walker's B&L account, but he is far
                          more often correct. Maddeninly, there are time when there appears to be
                          no source at all for some of his stories, such as Lee's viewing the
                          field from the east ridge of the Antietam on Sept. 15 a.m. He must have
                          gotten it from someone, but who? No clue so far.
                          There are, BTW, some great stories and anecdotes in the letters. Don't
                          look for my work being published anytime soon.
                          Tom C

                          >>> nickrelee@... 09/23/05 8:47 PM >>>
                        • nickrelee@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
                            Good luck with that, you really have an ambitious project there.

                            I've read Kegel but not the other two and thought I'd ask a better source
                            before I tackled those myself.

                            --Nick

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
                              I'm trying to find any sites specific to the 1st Minnesota at Antietam,
                              especially the stone wall that they took a position at near the
                              Poffenberger farm. I'm guessing that it got flattened when Rt. 65
                              Bypass was put in, but am not sure. If anyone has hints I'd love to
                              hear them Thanks.

                              Stephen Recker
                            • Steve
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
                                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@a... wrote:

                                > Tom,
                                > I found the article, you were kinda sly in not mentioning that it
                                was you
                                > that wrote that article. I was wondering your opinion of a couple
                                of books not
                                > mentioned in your article.
                                > A Matter of Hours by Paul Teetor
                                > Lee Moves North by Michael Palmer
                                > North with Lee and Jackson by James Kegel

                                Palmer's is a truly dreadful book. His main thesis is that Robert E.
                                Lee "exceeded his authority" by raiding into the North twice without
                                the approval of Jefferson Davis, possibly entertaining political
                                ambitions of his own. Palmer conveniently ignores the fact that Davis
                                *was* consulted both times, and that both raids had Davis' approval.
                                The book is historical revisionism at its absolute worst and
                                literally not worth the paper it's printed on.

                                On the other hand, Kegel's book is *excellent* (one of my favorites,
                                in fact), containing extensive footnotes and lots of interesting
                                minutiae. It's not strictly an "Antietam" book, though, but it does
                                show the "flow" of the early war period (how each battle was actually
                                an outgrowth of its predecessor).

                                Just my $0.02

                                -- Steve Lopez
                              • historygirl@adelphia.net
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 24, 2005
                                  Steve,
                                  There is a stone wall west of the bypass on Lynn Flook's farm which is supposedly that wall. It seems a little too far north to me, but haven't looked at it closely. I think Jay Luvaas identified it as the wall. Maybe it extended farther south and east before the bypass was put in.
                                  Tom Clemens

                                  ---- Stephen Recker wrote:

                                  =============
                                  I'm trying to find any sites specific to the 1st Minnesota at Antietam,
                                  especially the stone wall that they took a position at near the
                                  Poffenberger farm. I'm guessing that it got flattened when Rt. 65
                                  Bypass was put in, but am not sure. If anyone has hints I'd love to
                                  hear them Thanks.

                                  Stephen Recker

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  *> To visit your group on the web, go to:

                                  *> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                                  *> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 25, 2005
                                    Dear Nick,

                                    As another person somewhat knowledgeable about the Battle of Sharpsburg and
                                    in particular about the Sunken Road fight, I might possibly be able to be of
                                    assistance...depending on when your group makes its trip.

                                    Very respectfully,

                                    to preserve it, save that of honour."

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 25, 2005
                                      I'll keep you posted. Sounds like we'll have a wealth of knowledgable
                                      people wanting to join along, sounds good to me.
                                      --Nick

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                                        I just got a call from a woman who needs two Manassas tour guides from
                                        2pm - 4pm this Saturday. If you would like me to pass on your name
                                        please contact me by private email. Thanks.

                                        Stephen Recker
                                        Director, Antietam Tours

                                        P.O. Box 705
                                        Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                                        240-217-3664
                                        800-417-9596

                                        http://www.virtualantietam.com
                                        http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                                        http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                                          Stephen;

                                          When do you plan the next phase of initial tests for possible Antietam Tour
                                          Guides?

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                                            Can't help, my daughter is getting married that day. Would like to talk
                                            wit hyou about SHAF's website when convenient.

                                            >>> recker@... 10/5/2005 2:30:03 PM >>>
                                            I just got a call from a woman who needs two Manassas tour guides from

                                            2pm - 4pm this Saturday. If you would like me to pass on your name
                                            please contact me by private email. Thanks.

                                            Stephen Recker
                                            Director, Antietam Tours

                                            P.O. Box 705
                                            Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                                            240-217-3664
                                            800-417-9596

                                            http://www.virtualantietam.com
                                            http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                                            http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com

                                            American civil war Civil war history Civil war American civil war book
                                            American civil war art Civil war battles
                                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
                                              Stephen,

                                              I would suggest you contact Dick Weeks directly. He is very knowledgeable
                                              about the field.

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005

                                                Thanks for the question. Tests are being given on an as-needed basis.
                                                Anyone who is interested in taking the test to be a guide at Antietam
                                                National Battlefield should contact me directly and we'll get you
                                                signed up. Thanks.

                                                Regards,