Re Sunken Road at Anniversary

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 21, 2005
      Dear Tom (Shay) and Tom C.

      Gents:

      Did any of you learn anything new about the fighting at the Sunken Road
      during the Anniversary Weekend this past weekend?

      Also, Tom C., do you have the portions of the Carman Manuscript dealing with
      the Sunken Road fight annotated or not, and could I have a copy (private
      email is ok!).

      Very respectfully,

      to preserve it, save that of honour."
    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2005
        Here's a brief summary of my Saturday trip to Antietam.

        I arrived on that September 17 before 6 AM while fields were still covered in darkeness. I parked at The Cornfield and walked along the Pike up to the North Woods for the 7 AM hike. As I passed the Miller Farm, glints of sunlight came over South Mtn, aking for a grand scene.

        I met up with Ranger Keith Snyder and about 30 others. A similar group (led by Brian Baracz) was forming at Dunker Church to follow Reb movements. They later met us at the Cornfield. We left North Woods and headed directly south thru easten half of cornfield, which had been harvested. Saw a fox emerge with large rodent in its mouth amidst the fog.. As sun emerged above South Mtn, the fields glowed in a golden light. Hike ended at the Rock Ledge west of pike,

        The next hike focused on Mansfield's Attack. We began at Cornfield, walked east along that avenue, south to Mumma Farm, then followed Greene's attack toward VC area.

        Due to expected crowds, several hikes were scheduled conurrently. Because I chose the Burnside Bridge hike, I could not go on the West Woods and Sunken Road hikes.

        We met at Rohrbach Campground, which I'd never seen before. Ranger Gamble led us over ground which I'd never visited, as we hiked up and over the hill crests from which XI Corps launched their attacks.
        We arrived at the creek below the bridge then walked along creek on return to the campground.

        At lunch I visited the Sharpsburg Festival, but missed Tom C at SHAF tent, as he was walking his dog. Weather that day was quite hot, so I enjoyed a final drive around the park in air-conidiitioned car, before heading home.

        I did get a copy of the new park brochure for the Final Attack trail. It certainly will serve a nice insipiration for getting people onto that little-visited ground. Someone should advise NPS to post these brochures as PDF files on their website (as park budget is down) and we could then print them ourselves.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2005
          Tom Shay,
          Sorry I missed you on Saturday. The festival was good, much smaller
          than past years, but the junky stuff was cut, much to my satisfaction.
          I was able to take in some ofhte stone house tour in Sharpsburg
          sponsored by the Sharpsburg Historical Society. The large stone Piper
          House on the corner across from the Lutheran church was open, and
          fantastic. Still has a bullet lodged in an upstairs door. I was not
          able to get toall, but some of the gems were great.
          Tom C

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2005
            On the Sharpsburg Pike tour I learned some neat things about the US
            Regulars connecting the Bloody Lane Union troops with the 9th
            Corps...for just a few minutes. We went to some less-visited land along
            Lee's center. Very interesting.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 22, 2005
              What is the best source for info on the 1st Minnesota at Antietam?
              Thanks.