Re: [TalkAntietam] The perils of wet powder

  • allnoles@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2001
      In a message dated 6/25/01 6:53:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      awturner@... writes:

      Have those of you who attended the artillery event in Sharpsburg last
      weekend anything to report about firing in what must have been a very
      heavy rain?

         Wasn't a problem on Saturday and I see that Gerry says it was even nicer
      on Sunday.  One thing the weather conditions did was give a nice deep
      "whumpf" sound to the cannon fire.
          The fellows who did the drill - the Baltimore Light Artillery - were led
      by a West Pointer and for real artilleryman who really knew his stuff.  I
      didn't get his name but he gave excellent descriptions and explanations to
      the crowd and the BLA, as usual, did a very good job.
          I don't know if Gerry was following me or I was following him, but we
      ran into each other in about three different parts of the battlefield.  He
      was in uniform and I kept wishing that I was.

      regards,
      Jim Morgan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2001
        Jim--

        What would we have done if we both were in uniform?

        BTW, did you get a chance to catch some of the "drill" being done
        on the front lawn of the Antietam VC led by the volunteer in the
        park dressed as a Federal Sgt. Major (I think)? He did not have
        his tunic on but had his vest on. It was hilarious to see his
        "company" attempt to perform the Manual of Arms!

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        > In a message dated 6/25/01 6:53:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > awturner@... writes:
        >

        > > Have those of you who attended the artillery event in
        Sharpsburg last
        > > weekend anything to report about firing in what must have
        been a very
        > > heavy rain?
        >
        > Wasn't a problem on Saturday and I see that Gerry says it
        was even nicer
        > on Sunday. One thing the weather conditions did was give a
        nice deep
        > "whumpf" sound to the cannon fire.
        > The fellows who did the drill - the Baltimore Light
        Artillery - were led
        > by a West Pointer and for real artilleryman who really knew his
        stuff. I
        > didn't get his name but he gave excellent descriptions and
        explanations to
        > the crowd and the BLA, as usual, did a very good job.
        > I don't know if Gerry was following me or I was following
        him, but we
        > ran into each other in about three different parts of the
        battlefield. He
        > was in uniform and I kept wishing that I was.
        >
        > regards,
        > Jim Morgan

      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 26, 2001
          The West Pointer is Jim Loba, a true gentleman and nice guy who works at
          a historic site in Winchester.