RE: [TalkAntietam] Final Attack Trail officially opens in Sept

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30 8:02 AM
      Steve,

      That was a fun walk. By the way, I've just about finished labeling the
      images I took on that trip (it's only been 5 months), and I'll send you and
      Tom disks.

      That tree where the wall AP Hill's men crossed over - is that a hackle berry
      tree?

      Harry

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 30 8:28 AM
        I have found Rufus Dawes to be one of the best narratives about the
        fight for the Iron Brigade.

        What is the best narrative for the Irish Brigade at the Sunken Road?
        Thanks.

        Stephen Recker
      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 30 8:50 AM
          My favorite is the book MY SONS WERE FAITHFUL AND THEY FOUGHT by Joseph Bilby and Steve O'Neill. Admitttedly the maps noting extent of Meagher's left flank have been argued herein and elsewhere. But it's provides some nice personal accounts and is full of details.

          Of course, the Carman Manuscript has a great narrative also.

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 30 10:18 AM
            Harry,

            Could you send me disks also? Contact me privately by email if you
            can........

            Very respectfully,

            to preserve it, save that of honour."

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 30 11:49 AM
              Hackberry. A term unfamiliar to me until th NPS natural resources folks
              introduced it to me.

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 30 1:12 PM
                Thanks, Tom. I'm one step closer to getting those pictures labeled.

                Harry

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30 2:03 PM
                  On Tuesday, August 30, 2005, at 11:02 AM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                  > That was a fun walk. By the way, I've just about finished labeling the
                  > images I took on that trip (it's only been 5 months), and I'll send
                  > you and
                  > Tom disks.

                  Thanks. I appreciate that. It was a great walk.

                  > That tree where the wall AP Hill's men crossed over - is that a hackle
                  > berry
                  > tree?

                  I defer to Prof. Clemens.