Re: [TalkAntietam] Final Attack Trail officially opens in Sept

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30 7:55 AM
      I had the pleasure of walking the new tour recently with one of the
      rangers. It starts at the Burnside Bridge parking lot and heads due
      West in a bit of a zig-zag towards the 11th Ohio monument. From there
      it heads toward the 16th CT and then in a big loop back towards the
      12th Ohio, north on the Otto Lane about 50 yards and then East though
      the fields back to the parking lot.

      It doesn't go down to the trail to follow the advance of Rodman - the
      route I believe Harry is referring to. That was a really fun walk. We
      had to push our way through the bushes. It was exciting being on such
      virgin ground. Last time I was down there, though, I believe I saw that
      Rodman's path has been carved out through the woods. Those NPS folks
      are very busy down there. Many kudos.

      Stephen

      On Tuesday, August 30, 2005, at 10:37 AM, Jeff Beckner ((PWC Magazine))
      wrote:

      > Excellent. If it's 1.7 miles, does it start at the river?
    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 30 8:02 AM
        Steve,

        That was a fun walk. By the way, I've just about finished labeling the
        images I took on that trip (it's only been 5 months), and I'll send you and
        Tom disks.

        That tree where the wall AP Hill's men crossed over - is that a hackle berry
        tree?

        Harry

        wrote:

        > Excellent. If it's 1.7 miles, does it start at the river?

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

        _____

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 30 8:28 AM
          I have found Rufus Dawes to be one of the best narratives about the
          fight for the Iron Brigade.

          What is the best narrative for the Irish Brigade at the Sunken Road?
          Thanks.

          Stephen Recker
        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 30 8:50 AM
            My favorite is the book MY SONS WERE FAITHFUL AND THEY FOUGHT by Joseph Bilby and Steve O'Neill. Admitttedly the maps noting extent of Meagher's left flank have been argued herein and elsewhere. But it's provides some nice personal accounts and is full of details.

            Of course, the Carman Manuscript has a great narrative also.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 30 10:18 AM
              Harry,

              Could you send me disks also? Contact me privately by email if you
              can........

              Very respectfully,

              to preserve it, save that of honour."

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 30 11:49 AM
                Hackberry. A term unfamiliar to me until th NPS natural resources folks
                introduced it to me.

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30 1:12 PM
                  Thanks, Tom. I'm one step closer to getting those pictures labeled.

                  Harry

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 30 2:03 PM
                    On Tuesday, August 30, 2005, at 11:02 AM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                    > That was a fun walk. By the way, I've just about finished labeling the
                    > images I took on that trip (it's only been 5 months), and I'll send
                    > you and
                    > Tom disks.

                    Thanks. I appreciate that. It was a great walk.

                    > That tree where the wall AP Hill's men crossed over - is that a hackle
                    > berry
                    > tree?

                    I defer to Prof. Clemens.