RE: [TalkAntietam] Final Attack Trail officially opens in Sept

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
      I took a similar walk this spring, but we took the Snavely Ford trail and
      came up the ravine from the ford. I would imagine the trail will feature
      the refurbished Otto Farm lane and the 40 acre cornfield.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
        Thanks. No substitute for walking the actual ground; as much of it as
        possible.

        > Excellent. If it's 1.7 miles, does it start at the river?

        Service.

        --------

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
          I had the pleasure of walking the new tour recently with one of the
          rangers. It starts at the Burnside Bridge parking lot and heads due
          West in a bit of a zig-zag towards the 11th Ohio monument. From there
          it heads toward the 16th CT and then in a big loop back towards the
          12th Ohio, north on the Otto Lane about 50 yards and then East though
          the fields back to the parking lot.

          It doesn't go down to the trail to follow the advance of Rodman - the
          route I believe Harry is referring to. That was a really fun walk. We
          had to push our way through the bushes. It was exciting being on such
          virgin ground. Last time I was down there, though, I believe I saw that
          Rodman's path has been carved out through the woods. Those NPS folks
          are very busy down there. Many kudos.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
            Steve,

            That was a fun walk. By the way, I've just about finished labeling the
            images I took on that trip (it's only been 5 months), and I'll send you and
            Tom disks.

            That tree where the wall AP Hill's men crossed over - is that a hackle berry
            tree?

            Harry

            _____

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
              I have found Rufus Dawes to be one of the best narratives about the
              fight for the Iron Brigade.

              What is the best narrative for the Irish Brigade at the Sunken Road?
              Thanks.

              Stephen Recker
            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                My favorite is the book MY SONS WERE FAITHFUL AND THEY FOUGHT by Joseph Bilby and Steve O'Neill. Admitttedly the maps noting extent of Meagher's left flank have been argued herein and elsewhere. But it's provides some nice personal accounts and is full of details.

                Of course, the Carman Manuscript has a great narrative also.

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                  Harry,

                  Could you send me disks also? Contact me privately by email if you
                  can........

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                    Hackberry. A term unfamiliar to me until th NPS natural resources folks
                    introduced it to me.

                  • Harry Smeltzer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                      Thanks, Tom. I'm one step closer to getting those pictures labeled.

                      Harry

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                        On Tuesday, August 30, 2005, at 11:02 AM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                        > That was a fun walk. By the way, I've just about finished labeling the
                        > images I took on that trip (it's only been 5 months), and I'll send
                        > you and
                        > Tom disks.

                        Thanks. I appreciate that. It was a great walk.

                        > That tree where the wall AP Hill's men crossed over - is that a hackle
                        > berry
                        > tree?

                        I defer to Prof. Clemens.