RE: [TalkAntietam] Final Attack Trail officially opens in Sept

  • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
      Excellent. If it's 1.7 miles, does it start at the river?

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
        Jeff,

        IIRC, it starts at the Otto Farm just up from the Burnside Bridge
        overlook...........

        Very respectfully,

        to preserve it, save that of honour."

        > Excellent. If it's 1.7 miles, does it start at the river?

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
          I took a similar walk this spring, but we took the Snavely Ford trail and
          came up the ravine from the ford. I would imagine the trail will feature
          the refurbished Otto Farm lane and the 40 acre cornfield.

          Harry

          > Excellent. If it's 1.7 miles, does it start at the river?

          ----

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

          _____

        • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
            Thanks. No substitute for walking the actual ground; as much of it as
            possible.

            > Excellent. If it's 1.7 miles, does it start at the river?

            Service.

            --------

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
              I had the pleasure of walking the new tour recently with one of the
              rangers. It starts at the Burnside Bridge parking lot and heads due
              West in a bit of a zig-zag towards the 11th Ohio monument. From there
              it heads toward the 16th CT and then in a big loop back towards the
              12th Ohio, north on the Otto Lane about 50 yards and then East though
              the fields back to the parking lot.

              It doesn't go down to the trail to follow the advance of Rodman - the
              route I believe Harry is referring to. That was a really fun walk. We
              had to push our way through the bushes. It was exciting being on such
              virgin ground. Last time I was down there, though, I believe I saw that
              Rodman's path has been carved out through the woods. Those NPS folks
              are very busy down there. Many kudos.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                Steve,

                That was a fun walk. By the way, I've just about finished labeling the
                images I took on that trip (it's only been 5 months), and I'll send you and
                Tom disks.

                That tree where the wall AP Hill's men crossed over - is that a hackle berry
                tree?

                Harry

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                  I have found Rufus Dawes to be one of the best narratives about the
                  fight for the Iron Brigade.

                  What is the best narrative for the Irish Brigade at the Sunken Road?
                  Thanks.

                  Stephen Recker
                • rotbaron@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                    My favorite is the book MY SONS WERE FAITHFUL AND THEY FOUGHT by Joseph Bilby and Steve O'Neill. Admitttedly the maps noting extent of Meagher's left flank have been argued herein and elsewhere. But it's provides some nice personal accounts and is full of details.

                    Of course, the Carman Manuscript has a great narrative also.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                      Harry,

                      Could you send me disks also? Contact me privately by email if you
                      can........

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                        Hackberry. A term unfamiliar to me until th NPS natural resources folks
                        introduced it to me.

                      • Harry Smeltzer
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                          Thanks, Tom. I'm one step closer to getting those pictures labeled.

                          Harry

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                            On Tuesday, August 30, 2005, at 11:02 AM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                            > That was a fun walk. By the way, I've just about finished labeling the
                            > images I took on that trip (it's only been 5 months), and I'll send
                            > you and
                            > Tom disks.

                            Thanks. I appreciate that. It was a great walk.

                            > That tree where the wall AP Hill's men crossed over - is that a hackle
                            > berry
                            > tree?

                            I defer to Prof. Clemens.